Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking about equipment repair.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Work on my own trucks and lawn equipment. Is there opportunity in doing lawn mower equipment repair?
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Work on my own trucks and lawn equipment. Is there opportunity in doing lawn mower equipment repair?
I have a couple of friends who keep thinking about it - they both have said that the liability insurance bill is scarey, you might find out differently.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any small engine repair shops in your town already? If you do, are those repair shops doing a good job for their customers or are customers not happy with them?

I know in my area there was a great need for a GOOD small engine repair shop. We have had a couple shops close within the last year or two due to financial issues and poor service. We recently had another shop open within the last couple months, but I haven't heard anything good or bad about them yet.

You will definately have to know what you are doing. There is a big difference between working on your own equipment and working on other people's equipment. You are going to be the guy that people come to to fix their problems, so you really need to know what you are doing. You aren't going to get a good reputation by turning away lots of business because you don't know how to fix the problem. Obviously, there are going to be some things that you won't be able to do, but those problems should be few and far between. So you really need to know what you are doing and be sure that you are familiar with all sorts of equipment, from string trimmers to lawn mowers to snow blowers.

Don't get in over your head. People are looking for quality repairs in a reasonable amount of time. Customers don't want to wait 2-3 weeks to get their lawn mower back, they want it back within a week and they want it done right the first time (no one wants to keep going back to the repair shop for the same thing over and over). So make sure you will be taking on a reasonable amount of work and bite off more than you can chew.

Make sure you find a building that can function as a repair facility. You may not have the funds that some of these large dealers do who build million dollar facilities, but something that is functional for you and the customer.

Don't offer to much all at once, take baby steps. Start out as just a repair facility and maybe offer some small items for sale, like oil, fuel stabilizers, trimmer sting and lawn mower blades. Those items can keep people coming in to the shop and keep your name in front of customers regularly (important when you want to grow your business down the road). Selling those small items also are a relatively inexpensive investment, so you don't need to drop tons of money into selling these things. Wait until you are more well established (5 years down the road) to start selling new equipment.

Just make sure to do enough research in your area to make sure that this service can be supported in your area. And remember to take baby steps, don't try to be some big company when you are not. Slow and steady growth will benefit you far more than quick and rapid growth.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring tune-ups would be simple enough...blade sharpening, oil change, new plug and a power washing-$45.00??? for 21 inch mowers.........2 cycle stuff needs cleaning and gas filter replacements, grease the heads.

People who know that I have a repair shop set up for my business equipment come around and expect freebies.

I hung a sign up that says "Shop Fees are $ 38.00 per hour, plus parts."

My point being, why not advertise on Craig's list for free and do some work out of your own shop? It'll be busier in the spring though.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just started offering this service, not much business yet, which is ok because it's just side work to me. I also offer metal fabrication services to homeowners who have maybe a small metal project, but can't justify buying a welder to do it, or have no clue where they could go to get it done.

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelawnteam1 View Post
I just started offering this service, not much business yet, which is ok because it's just side work to me. I also offer metal fabrication services to homeowners who have maybe a small metal project, but can't justify buying a welder to do it, or have no clue where they could go to get it done.
two words liability insurance
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i know a guy who mowed yards and then got to working on mowers on the side, now he no longer mows and has one of the largest Hustler dealerships in the country, so it will work.