Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quickest way to green up St.Augustine?

My lawn was fertilized about 4 weeks ago. It has suffered some browning with those cold nights a few days ago. How should I go about greening it up real quick? Or should I just wait it out. Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
My lawn was fertilized about 4 weeks ago. It has suffered some browning with those cold nights a few days ago. How should I go about greening it up real quick? Or should I just wait it out. Thanks
IMHO time is your best friend. If you fertilized with a slow release fert it very well may still not be broken down dependent on the material the fert was made from. If you just want to do something to try to help hitting it with a micro package spray usually never hurts from what I have seen.

Maybe some of the Fert Guys like Ric can give better info.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chelated iron is usually quick.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when we get warmer temps it will green up quick... i wouldnt throw a bunch of stuff on the lawn to make it green...
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
when we get warmer temps it will green up quick... i wouldnt throw a bunch of stuff on the lawn to make it green...
Gregory

Right on, it will take some time. Throwing fertilizer on it isn't going to speed up the process. (BTW Fertilizer is a salt that might burn the turf this time on year) As the day light hours grow longer and the ground temperature rises the Grass will green up. I have always said if you Lawn isn't super Green by Oct you are not going to get green until spring. Yes we have a year round growing season here in Florida. But it consists of a Active and Semi-Dormant growing seasons. True Professionals recognize these changes in mother nature and do PRO ACTIVE Treatments to help turf express itself to the fullest.

I can make hungry turf, green again in the winter months. But it requires a Tank Sprayer and a LOT of minor elements and fast release Nitrogen. Problem is there is a fine line between making St Augustine Green and BURNING IT.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is for this very reason we started offering "Lawn Painting" to our services last winter....it lasts about 9-12 weeks...and really looks great...we sold about 4k in 2 months last winter..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
It is for this very reason we started offering "Lawn Painting" to our services last winter....it lasts about 9-12 weeks...and really looks great...we sold about 4k in 2 months last winter..
Been thinking about this the last couple days as I have been driving by properties to see that indeed most of them suffered a good amount of frost damage.
Would overseeding with Rye not only be a longer term lasting green for your clients but also be more profitable. I know the initial start up cost would be much less.
I did not even offer rye to most lawns last year...but I am thinking it is a quick option for a quick buck right now.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Would overseeding with Rye not only be a longer term lasting green for your clients but also be more profitable..
Not sure about Orlando, but IMHO over seeding a SA lawn with northern grasses is a bad idea down here. We have several properties where the HO's over seeded with rye. It grows at a different rate than SA. It can outgrow the SA so the lawns look shaggy, sometimes it grows so fast it goes to seed. When it's cut, seed is distributed throughout the lawn and has a tendency to come back up in cooler areas all summer long. It's a PIA, like Bermuda in SA or Zoyesa in SA.

At best it's a temporary fix. The SA lawn will look sickly when the grass transitions back to a more robust SA in the spring, and if the SA was sickly when you started, it'll still be sickly after it transitions.

Best to build and maintain a healthy & robust SA lawn incorporating a professional IPM program.

Just saying.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Not sure about Orlando, but IMHO over seeding a SA lawn with northern grasses is a bad idea down here. We have several properties where the HO's over seeded with rye. It grows at a different rate than SA. It can outgrow the SA so the lawns look shaggy, sometimes it grows so fast it goes to seed. When it's cut, seed is distributed throughout the lawn and has a tendency to come back up in cooler areas all summer long. It's a PIA, like Bermuda in SA or Zoyesa in SA.

At best it's a temporary fix. The SA lawn will look sickly when the grass transitions back to a more robust SA in the spring, and if the SA was sickly when you started, it'll still be sickly after it transitions.

Best to build and maintain a healthy & robust SA lawn incorporating a professional IPM program.

Just saying.
J - Everything you mention sounds like someone who did not know what they were doing to when the overseeded the lawns. one 50lb bag of rye seed can do as little as 5 K of turf or as much as a acre. The choice is yours.
If done lightly you can add color back into the landscape without overcoming the primary turf.
Even in circumstances where it has been heavily overseeded....the turf does fight back in the spring as the Rye melts away. The Rye for what its worth will add OM back into your soil too. Never a bad thing.
The thickness depends on you.
Here is the situation we are facing up here. Lawns are burnt and crispy. The are browner than hell. Now we can look at brown lawns - or we can paint them for what that is worth I guess, however a light overeeding will allow for a color at a higher profit margin. I would also guess that something growing in the lawn will be good to fill all those decayed voids - as if let to do it on her own - mother nature is going to fill it in with weeds.

By the way - No matter or Professional IPM Fert and Squirt Program is going to save a southern turf grass from temps experienced in the north. We mowed about 12 lawns this week out of the whole client base. It did not matter who cared for the lawn - what mattered most was the lawns exposure. Corner lots are the worst and interior lots are better.

Not sure what all the spray guys are out doing now. Seen some putting down Atrazine....seen others spraying the whole lawn - I would assume Fe or micro packages. Either way they are all out in full force...doing something to the lawn to justify there bill I am guessing.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
J - Everything you mention sounds like someone who did not know what they were doing to when the overseeded the lawns. one 50lb bag of rye seed can do as little as 5 K of turf or as much as a acre. The choice is yours.
I've never done it, just seen the results. It could be that results are different further north, I honestly don't know. Based on what I have seen here, I don't think I'd recommend it. Don't believe it makes sense to introduce what I consider to be non-desirable grasses into a pedigree St. Augustine lawn.

We've had really good success so far with a good IPM program and timely slow release fertilizer applications.

As far as painting the lawn is concerned... really?

Again, it's just my opinion; I'm not trying to jam it down anybodies throat.