Register free!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Question X-Mark Stander

Anybody have experience with the new X-Mark Standers? We are considering retiring the Metro's and replacing them with the Standers.

I have read mixed reviews on Wright Standers.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am looking at getting a Vantage myself. Not as many threads about them as Grandstands. They seem to be getting pretty good reviews overall.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

same mower, just modified a bit to fit the ultra cut deck.

only other dif is the controls are rods instead of cables. i actually like that better, and is retrofittable if one wanted to buy the parts.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How tall are you guys? I am close to 6 foot 5 - and I can feel every little turn and movement on any of the standers you guys are mentioning in my back. Not sure if you guys are tall guys or not - if you are - I have no idea how you are doing it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
How tall are you guys? I am close to 6 foot 5 - and I can feel every little turn and movement on any of the standers you guys are mentioning in my back. Not sure if you guys are tall guys or not - if you are - I have no idea how you are doing it.
I'm 6'2" my crew would be using them, average about 5'4" & 120-135 lbs.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stander comparison

This last Oct at the GIE, I spent considerable time testing riding the standers - Wright, Toro and the Exmark. Not real world testing here in FL but I'll give my two cents.

Last time I seriously looked at a stander type mower was in 2006. I was looking at buying a new 36". I tested a friend's 36 Wright stander and thought it was a squirrely machine that would also leave plenty of divets with turns. Granted the controls were touchy and I spent too little time on it. (I wound up buying the Hustler 36" Mini Z instead.)

Like Mike, sitting was much more comfortable on the back and knees. Since 2006, a lot of new comers have come to the market and I'd thought I'd try them all out again at the GIE.

The Toro is a nice machine with the many updates now standard in the new models and is very similar to the Exmark. However, the Exmark is smoother and my favorite, since it has the direct linkage for their hydro controls instead of the cables like in the Toro. The Exmark just has a more direct and confidence inspiring controls. I STILL think the Wright is a quirky machine that is not well damped in the controls. I would never buy one. Mowing with a stander is like mowing with a sulky in that you feel the ground contours and bumps but not as bad.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
This last Oct at the GIE, I spent considerable time testing riding the standers - Wright, Toro and the Exmark. Not real world testing here in FL but I'll give my two cents.

Last time I seriously looked at a stander type mower was in 2006. I was looking at buying a new 36". I tested a friend's 36 Wright stander and thought it was a squirrely machine that would also leave plenty of divets with turns. Granted the controls were touchy and I spent too little time on it. (I wound up buying the Hustler 36" Mini Z instead.)

Like Mike, sitting was much more comfortable on the back and knees. Since 2006, a lot of new comers have come to the market and I'd thought I'd try them all out again at the GIE.

The Toro is a nice machine with the many updates now standard in the new models and is very similar to the Exmark. However, the Exmark is smoother and my favorite, since it has the direct linkage for their hydro controls instead of the cables like in the Toro. The Exmark just has a more direct and confidence inspiring controls. I STILL think the Wright is a quirky machine that is not well damped in the controls. I would never buy one. Mowing with a stander is like mowing with a sulky in that you feel the ground contours and bumps but not as bad.
Thought had crossed my mind, I wouldn't want to take the pounding myself. I've seen the divots left by the Wright, I attributed them to the operator's speed on the turn, scalping seems to be a problem also.

The Stander is under consideration primarily for it's loading foot print and maneuverability on small sites. I'll have to look at the mini-Z's

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one, I really like it, really comfortable and strips nice. (on blue grass at least ) a little front end lite. I put a protero twin can bagger on the front, big mistake because you cant run hills sideways with it on, they have a rear bagger setup for it witch would prob. work better. (got it at auction for $200, retail at $2000) so I will deal with it. other than that. I love it.

2000 Ram 2500 5 speed
1996 f350 dump
2010 52'' Exmark Vantage
2005 48'' Scag walk behind
12' trailer
Protero bagger
echo trimmers and blowers
Western 8.5 MVP
Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I spoke with my local eXmark dealer today about this very issue. He said that he has only sold two and they have both been in and out of the shop with an assortment of issues. Said they are nothing but problems left and right and wouldn't recommend them.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry BEN, but I got lost with what exactly are you saying. Stander mowers in general or the Exmark stander specifically? What type of issues/problems?