Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Excavator mower

Hi, I have been following some of the threads on excavator mowers for a while and I am thinking about getting one. In my research on this, I was wondering why most of you went with a US mower over a RockHound mower? I'm looking to put this on a Cat 304C. I have a small excavation company that does some field mowing and bush hogging. Which is what my company started out as. I am looking to add something different but the more I look, the more I see that it's more common here than I thought. However I am still very interested in it. Time to go move some snow, thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run US mower heads and they last a long time.They use a steel called domex that is a cross of T-1 and AR400 so the heads last a long time,rockhounds heads are a mild steel head.US also power coats there heads and rockhound paints with a water based paint.
minimax
11' Dodge 4500 crew cab, 4x4,flatbed
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you have snow?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. People I ask around here don't know what I'm talking about when I ask about ex. mowers. We got about 8" Thursday, little rain Friday, cold and ice today.We have not had much snow like other places. If the pictures work the first one is Wednesday, before the storm, the second one is Friday morning after the storm, and the last one, taken earlier in the year, is the equipment I use to plow. I run the truck and backhoe, my daughter runs the tractor.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What happens when you run out of places to push the snow?

As far as the ex mower, I'm watching this thread too. Been using brush mulchers on skid steers for about 10 years and looking at trying an excavator mulcher for some specialty jobs and for use on my own place. I've not owned a US mower but they look like they would hold up well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been considering this for a couple years. My issue is my TK doesn't make the best flow (16 gpm) so do I get one for this machine or wait until I upgrade excavators (at least 2 years out) or get one now and upgrade motor when I upgrade excavators. The new TK's have real good flow.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

That parking lot has about 30' strip of grass to stack on and a place out back. Last year had it stacked 20' high and filled the back corner. Is there much maintenance on the mowers and do blades last long. I'm used to running a bush hog or flail mower on a tractor. On real thick stuff I go in with an excavator or dozer.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The life of the blades really depends on the operater,My new head has over 900 hrs on them and I fliped them about 175 hrs ago,This is the best life I have had to date.I can get about 500 hrs most of the time.Stay out the rocks and let the head run at or close to full speed and let the head do the work and they can last a long time,if you push the head trying to cut bigger wood or drop the head to cut stumps you will bent blades.
minimax
11' Dodge 4500 crew cab, 4x4,flatbed
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP View Post
That parking lot has about 30' strip of grass to stack on and a place out back. Last year had it stacked 20' high and filled the back corner. Is there much maintenance on the mowers and do blades last long. I'm used to running a bush hog or flail mower on a tractor. On real thick stuff I go in with an excavator or dozer.
CLP where in Maine are you? I am in Gorham and just picked up a Rockhound for my Kubota U35. So far I like it, what made me go for the Rockhound over the US mower was the hydraulics were setup more for my low GPM on my machine. The us mower needed more. I didn't want to change my machine off the bat. My long term plan if things go well is to add a 50d and a 40" us mower like others on here have. If your ever in the area and want to take a look let me know.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

here is the CID 48" mower I have for the yanmar. I think we had to order it from USA attachments since CID dont sell to the public anymore.

Nice mower works great on stuff under 2" Has 2 rotary mower blades on it. Can't really say on how long the blades last as we mow around so much rip rap around ponds and that really eats the blades up.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall