Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

12v low voltage soffit install

Hi all. We have been debating adding low voltage soffit lighting to our line of service due to numerous requests. However, I am not familiar with the install procedures. Is there a website that I can visit to get the basics of how to install? Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bobby, as the owner/operator of a Lighthouse franchise can you not call up the franchisor and ask them for the appropriate training and guidance? Surely they must offer some level of support and training for their franchises.

That being said, there are probably as many different types of fixtures and techniques for installation as there are different types of soffits & structures. If you narrowed down your questions (be more specific) I am sure someone here would be able to help you out.

Regards

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure you could google any DIY forum and they would show you the basics. It's pretty simple. Biggest advice I can give you test for ceiling trusses and joists before you cut your hole. Use a small , rigid wire. Something like an irrigation flag wire. If the hole you are cutting is 3" in diameter, bend the last 1.5" over so it is 90 degrees to the rest of the wire. Drill a tiny hole in the soffit just big enough to fit the wire. Slide the wire in past the 90 and twist the wire end in circles gradually pushing it up to the depth of the can. If it doesn't rub or smack a stud, your good to go. If not you will need to adjust by a 1/2". Most of the time any exploratory holes will be cut out with the cut out, if not, it's small and use some color matching putty to fill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
I'm sure you could google any DIY forum and they would show you the basics. It's pretty simple. Biggest advice I can give you test for ceiling trusses and joists before you cut your hole. Use a small , rigid wire. Something like an irrigation flag wire. If the hole you are cutting is 3" in diameter, bend the last 1.5" over so it is 90 degrees to the rest of the wire. Drill a tiny hole in the soffit just big enough to fit the wire. Slide the wire in past the 90 and twist the wire end in circles gradually pushing it up to the depth of the can. If it doesn't rub or smack a stud, your good to go. If not you will need to adjust by a 1/2". Most of the time any exploratory holes will be cut out with the cut out, if not, it's small and use some color matching putty to fill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Like your idea with the exploratory research holes and irrigation flags. I cant tell you how many times a builder triple built roof joist corner has screwed up the placement of a downlight for me. Actually we Tend to use cm115u now. I got tired of wasting time on a ladder trying to place lightoliers within joist cavity's
Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would also check your local codes. only master electricians are allowed here to "pierce" the home with any cable carrying non-comunications ( telephone, cable, internet, satellite, etc ) load. we are only allowed to run LV outside.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good point Dave. Also remember standard 12-2 wire we use it not rated for interior of home. Must Romex or something similar. 12volt or not
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting topic. Can you guys give me a manufacturer specifically that makes these lights?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jbaily pm me your contact info. We can grab lunch before the season starts
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Lightolier lvl series. Trim selection is weak but I can get from local ec supply house. I always wanted to try Contrast (which James speaks highly of). Just havent found anywhere local to buy from at a decent price.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On another note, how would you sell a customer on lv sofit lights vs line voltage? I can see retrofitting an old home may be easier, but what about a customer with new construction?
Posted via Mobile Device