Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dynascape vs. ProLandscape

https://www.dynascape.com
http://www.drafix.com

I've been looking at ProLandscape (2nd link) for a while and mostly interested in the CAD. The 3D stuff isn't where I think it should be like it is with Dynscape. Who has worked with these programs and what is your feedback? Anyone used both?

Dynascape is a good bit of money more but the 3D stuff is really nice. What I don't know is how much time someone is spending at a computer to make it look that nice either. I don't have a lot of time to do those things vs using a basic CAD program and coloring in by hand.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did you consult Jared on this?
As i recall he posted some pretty realistic 3D conceptual drawings on his thread and followed up with a little insight into the programs and the cost.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Dynascape for 3 years now and I love it. I was introduced to it during my schooling for Landscape Designer and it is definitely a good program. I will say it is quite expensive and you do have to pay each year to keep it updated, and if you don't pay then next time (say 3 years later) you want to update they are going to back charge you for the years you missed anyway.

I don't use the 3D aspect of dynascape because once again its not worth the money to me. With a little effort use can use the Sketch up for free and produce just as good of results. The only real advantage to DS 3D is that when you make changes in DS design you can instantly update the 3D drawing. I don't see this is a big factor because usually 3d are more conceptual anyway and so small details or layout changes after the main design is establish aren't really all that important.

Dynscape is also very powerful in the Quote and Manage side if you choose to link it for quoting and drawing up contracts.

The Plan quality is also much better in terms of essential design principals then say ProLandscapes (at least when I last checked). Line weights and types are used widely where as other programs don't have the same library to choose from so plan view drawings don't pop as much.

For the Professional aspect that Dynscape Provides it is well worth the extra money in my mind.

Last edited by Gilmore.Landscaping; 01-16-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: final statement
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both, and currently use Dynascape. There is a lot steeper learning curve with DS over Pro Landscape, but once you get used to it, you will put out much, much higher quality drawings on Dynascape in relatively the same amount of time it would take on Pro Landscape. I've found to be more accurate with take-offs and estimating with Dynascape. The color software is a good addition as well. One of the biggest things that sold me on Dynascape originally was its ability to make smooth, good looking curves. It always used to take me forever to draw nice curves in Pro Landscape, maybe I wasn't doing it right. Another big one was the plant symbols. With Dynascape you select your plant type (shrub, tree, perennial) and the size. Place your plants and you label them after all your plants are placed. With Pro Landscape, it seems like there is a symbol for every plant, as far as I can remember I always had to hunt for the plant in I was looking for. It's been a couple years since I've used Pro Landscape.

With the new Sketch 3D, you import your drawing right into Sketch-up. If you are proficient enough with Sketch-up, it goes up pretty quick. I will attach a picture of a model I completed a couple of weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I spent about 3-4 hours on the modeling (lots of time messing with lighting settings for the rendering program).

Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
With the new Sketch 3D, you import your drawing right into Sketch-up. If you are proficient enough with Sketch-up, it goes up pretty quick. I will attach a picture of a model I completed a couple of weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I spent about 3-4 hours on the modeling (lots of time messing with lighting settings for the rendering program).
I know lighting isn't a stock element of Sketch-up, at least not the version I have. Is that an add on, I haven't found one that works good.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The lighting is actually implemented through your rendering program. In our case, we use Shaderlight.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy Dynascape and get Manage 360. It is a very good overhead recovery system and the sooner you implement it and accurately track your fixed expenses the far better off you'll be. The earlier you do this in building your business the more accurately you'll grow. Period end of sentence.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Buy Dynascape and get Manage 360. It is a very good overhead recovery system and the sooner you implement it and accurately track your fixed expenses the far better off you'll be. The earlier you do this in building your business the more accurately you'll grow. Period end of sentence.
I've been a lurker here for quite some time and I have to say this post from etwman persuaded me to make my very own post. Dynascape rocks! Google "Dynascape for the hardscape" to see how powerful it really is.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of the two, Dynascape has a better output and seems overall like a more professional program. ProLandscape doesn't impress me, and I'm not going to take any program seriously that doesn't offer a free evaluation version.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Of the two, Dynascape has a better output and seems overall like a more professional program. ProLandscape doesn't impress me, and I'm not going to take any program seriously that doesn't offer a free evaluation version.
I bought prolanscape several years ago and chose it over dynascape because the learning curve was not as great...previously owned vectorworks, which offered little help you didn't have to pay for...they, vectorworks, taught concepts and general usage, but didn't adress specifically landscape design, like scaling a plot plan etc..
I was impressed with dynascape and would have bought, but the sales rep told me there was no kind of 30 day money back guarantee...or way to try it before you buy it...maybe has changed now...also looked at dynascape because they were developing a scheduling program to work with their other software...all their stuff looks very polished.

Prolandscape is very powerful, maybe not as polished and some functionality was spotty such as plant databases, plant symbols and difficulty with variius small details like adding a fence or road, asphalt. Product support was excellent in my view...
Prolandscape also has started to add irrigation layout and design...they need to add pressure loss, pipe sizing etc...like raincad
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me