Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

New Truck

I finally gave in and bought a new truck. Its a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually with the 8 foot bed. It has the 6.7 Cummins High Output Turbo Diesel. 6-Automatic 68RFE Transmission. Its Mineral Gray with Black Leather interior completely loaded. Heated and Cooled leather seats, Heated Steering wheel, Sunroof, Touch Screen Infinity Stereo system with Sirius sattelite radio with travel link and a DVD player(you know for watching safety videos that come on DVD for our equuipment... lol), built in trailer brake, 3 upfitter switches one is fixing to be used for a soon to be installed strobe light kit, Chrome side steps, in cab storage out of the wazoo, this thing will go to the junk yard years from now and I'll still be learning what all it can do... lol. It is pretty much a stock truck with only a few upgrades. Has a pair of airbag overloads under it and the rear has a gear reduction in it boosting the torque from 800 to just over 1,000 ft. lbs. all was done from the dealer since im scared to do any aftermarket stuff to trucks with all the computers these days so its equiped the way its gonna stay. Anyhow here are a few pics enjoy...
Attached Images

*2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6-speed automatic. Cummins 6.7 High Output Turbo Diesel
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
*All Echo Handheld 2-cycle Equipment
*6'5"x14' LandscapingTrailer
*35' Heavy equipment dovetail gooseneck 25k lb. load capacity
*21 Toro Super Recycler (3)
*And the most important thing... looking good at being clueless...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippersLC View Post
I finally gave in and bought a new truck. Its a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually with the 8 foot bed. It has the 6.7 Cummins High Output Turbo Diesel. 6-Automatic 68RFE Transmission. Its Mineral Gray with Black Leather interior completely loaded. Heated and Cooled leather seats, Heated Steering wheel, Sunroof, Touch Screen Infinity Stereo system with Sirius sattelite radio with travel link and a DVD player(you know for watching safety videos that come on DVD for our equuipment... lol), built in trailer brake, 3 upfitter switches one is fixing to be used for a soon to be installed strobe light kit, Chrome side steps, in cab storage out of the wazoo, this thing will go to the junk yard years from now and I'll still be learning what all it can do... lol. It is pretty much a stock truck with only a few upgrades. Has a pair of airbag overloads under it and the rear has a gear reduction in it boosting the torque from 800 to just over 1,000 ft. lbs. all was done from the dealer since im scared to do any aftermarket stuff to trucks with all the computers these days so its equiped the way its gonna stay. Anyhow here are a few pics enjoy...
Great work truck!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

She's a beaut.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sick! you know i gotta ask... how much?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
sick! you know i gotta ask... how much?
I knew that question was comming... lol. Total after taxes, upgrades, the whole works i paid just under $72,000. $71,890 was the total I believe

Oakleaf - I originally wanted a Dodge 4500 but they didnt have any that werent stripped down work truck on the lot that day. So i got this one and made it into a 4500 so to speak. it has 1 extra leaf spring under the back on both sides in addition to the air bag over loads. I have it set up to pull just over 25,600 with the gear reductions and the air bag overloads. I'm told it will actually pull more but bending the axel tube becomes a concern with much more than that if a Gooseneck is hooked up in the bed. I doubt highly that I will ever pull more than 8 maybe 9 tons. Unless I have to rent a dozer one day. Im usually only pulling about 3 - 4 tons daily with just my trailer and equipment, plus if i have mulch or something else loaded up, but i did all the upgrades so that incase someone came to me saying "dude my truck is exactly like your yours and has the same everything and i can pull just as much as you" i can say smile and say "no its not , and no you cant!" lol. its a stupid pride thing i guess lol.
*2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6-speed automatic. Cummins 6.7 High Output Turbo Diesel
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe it can handle 3-4 tons.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
Maybe it can handle 3-4 tons.
It was a major power shock from my old truck. My last truck was also the one i started with. it was a 98' Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab long bed 4x4 with the 360 V-8 gaser. it had a 123,300 miles on it when i got it and I sold it with 199,700 miles when i sold it on 8-25-11, which is the day i got my new truck. my old truck you could feel it in handling and the gas peddle just towing 3,000 lbs, so my trailer that i tow daily was heavy enough to make it grunt daily. my new truck it takes about 3 tons before you can really tell theres anything behind the truck, it just slobbers along, turbo whistling. lol
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippersLC View Post
I knew that question was comming... lol. Total after taxes, upgrades, the whole works i paid just under $72,000. $71,890 was the total I believe

Oakleaf - I originally wanted a Dodge 4500 but they didnt have any that werent stripped down work truck on the lot that day. So i got this one and made it into a 4500 so to speak. it has 1 extra leaf spring under the back on both sides in addition to the air bag over loads. I have it set up to pull just over 25,600 with the gear reductions and the air bag overloads. I'm told it will actually pull more but bending the axel tube becomes a concern with much more than that if a Gooseneck is hooked up in the bed. I doubt highly that I will ever pull more than 8 maybe 9 tons. Unless I have to rent a dozer one day. Im usually only pulling about 3 - 4 tons daily with just my trailer and equipment, plus if i have mulch or something else loaded up, but i did all the upgrades so that incase someone came to me saying "dude my truck is exactly like your yours and has the same everything and i can pull just as much as you" i can say smile and say "no its not , and no you cant!" lol. its a stupid pride thing i guess lol.
Are you gonna swap out the 68rfe for an Aisin tranny to complete the 4500 conversion....?...lol. JK, you probably won't have any problems out of the 68rfe no more weight than your pulling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Are you gonna swap out the 68rfe for an Aisin tranny to complete the 4500 conversion....?...lol. JK, you probably won't have any problems out of the 68rfe no more weight than your pulling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nah. Cause with the warranty I got when I blow the first tranny up, I'll know what to not do next time! Lol. This truck will rarely see more than 4 tons on average. Unless I have my goose behind it with pallets of sod, rocks, or a mini-x. I just got tired of always hearing "if your truck was a 3/4 you could probably pull it" so I bought one of the biggest and most loaded up Ton trucks the Dodge makes! Now I can say "are you sure you have enough to make a full load?" Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The 4500s take a long time to get them built iv ordered 2 so far. The 2011 took about 10 weeks for delivery the 2012 was much worse I think it was 141 days. But you can't understand the love you can have for a truck till you own one. My baby is 18 months old and just yesterday I was out picking something up and I was at a light. That's when I noticed an entire paving crew in the parking lot on the side of me all starring, pointing and drooling over my truck. That makes the price tag nearly worth it. But mine came in less than yours 60 and 65k a pop slt crew cabs with 9 foot reading dumps with contractor racks. I could list all the options but I only skimped inside the truck ie leather seats or high end multi media what ever.