Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Site Titles, Descriptions and Main heading

Good (and recently updated) article for help in setting up Titles and Descriptions for your sites.

http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=35624

Not mentioned in here, but similar thought for Title should go to your main heading. Your page should have only ONE <h1> heading tag, and that should concisely describe the content of THAT page.

It can be a tricky fine line to get good titles and headers that accurately describe, while being both understandable to both humans and search engines, while not being too large.

If you find yourself struggling to come up with one main description of the page, it may be time to break it out to sub pages. Done properly this can help your search rankings, as now instead of being a page about, say 3 topics and that one topic having to share weight with the other two, now you have a specific page to the one topic, giving it higher authority on the topic. (compared to being on a page with 2 other topics).

Just some ideas I thought I would pass on as I was reading updates on Google's blog. (This forum and plowsite came to mind while I was reading the other topic, that google is adjusting to possibly penalize sites with excessive ads at the top of the pages)

-Greg
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, while from fall of 2010, here is a general reference guide google put out that has SEO basics which is good short reading to help bring you up to speed on things.

Again, it is from 2010, and some things have changed, the good basics here will still do you good.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...rter-guide.pdf

(Ps. the first page jsut has the title in the middle of the page, so when you first open it, depending on your zoom level, it may just look like a blank page, just scroll down)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Great link, Greg. One note for those of you searching for various tips/best practices relating to anything web, and especially SEO, is to look at the search result's publish date. If it's an article called something like "SEO Best Practices", or whatever, it should have a publish date in the result. If it's says anything pre-2009 (and often 2010), you can safely move on because they are likely woefully past their price.

As an example, I just Googled "keyword meta tag". The results are as follows:

#1 2007
#2 2009
#4 2001 (!!!!)
#5 2007
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To Add to that, when you do the search on google, in the left column, there are options to limit how old the content will be, so from there you can choose "PAST YEAR"
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is any body else brain about to explode with all this information???
(Not that it's a bad thing mind you)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tip o' the iceberg, Lefet. lol The major drawback to DIY web work is the amazing time suck that can/will occur. To say one is going down the proverbial rabbit hole is an understatement.

I point this out for no reason in particular, but two of your contributing web dorks, Greg and I, are apparently sitting about 3 miles from each other. For some reason, that amuses me. Power of the web and all that...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as I get closer than the umpteenth page, I'm happy.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I everyone working with the headaches of websites, and I gather that it is the task of SEO that you are dealing with. My first website went up in July of 1996. No real OPE there, just something I played with as time permitted while I learned HTML. To give a bit more of a clue, it was on CompuServe (which has not existed in over a decade.)
It may by instructional to show you the DTD and Head of my index page on an OPE site of mine. One thing to notice is that I used a few different Meta tags, but also have a stylesheet just for printing. I often use graphics for the title(s) of pages and give them ID's (one allowed per page with that name - #) or Class' (unlimited number per page, but with lower specificity.) For the print stylesheet I take out the header graphic and most if not all navigational menus and substitute the title as an H1.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<title>OPE by Crigby</title>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/>
<!-- <base href="opebycrigby.tripod.com"/> -->
<meta name="keywords" content="Outdoor power equipment,images of mower decks,images of mower drive belts,images of deck and motion drive belt routing,graphics of deck and motion drive belt routing,directions,tutorials,model number decoding,how-to's"/>
<meta name="description" content="Mostly images of belt routing on mower decks and drivesystems of riding mowers"/>
<meta name="author" content="Clarke Rigby"/>
<meta name="copyright" content="&copy; 2011 Clarke Rigby"/>
<link href="basic.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="screen"/>
<link href="print.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="print"/>
</head>
Hope that helps a bit!
Peace,
Clarke