Register free!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Sponsor

New Perimeter Security Lighting

Hi Guys, here's a brand new patent-pending LED lighting system from CAST. It's primarily meant as a commercial security lighting system - very industrial. It's cast from a propriatary alloy - just as rugged as bronze but it goes to grey instead of verdi.

It's called the CAST LED Perimeter Lighting System with fixtures that mount on chain link fences - one 6-watt fixture every 30 ft. It's powered with a 200-watt 24-volt transformer, with fixtures that have a 24v to 10v range. This allows a single wire run to power 17 fixtures along 500 ft. of fence.

Here's renderings of likely projects and the fixture itself: Comments?
Attached Images

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would be good in a prison, or maybe a junkyard. Although I don't know many junkyard that would pay for something like this. Maybe make it with quick connects and you might have a good market with the temp fencing company's. 1800rentafence. And those kind of outfits.

Steve Im trying to think of a scenario where that would be an "easy" sell....... Im just drawing a blank.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Would be good in a prison, or maybe a junkyard. Although I don't know many junkyard that would pay for something like this. Maybe make it with quick connects and you might have a good market with the temp fencing company's. 1800rentafence. And those kind of outfits.

Steve Im trying to think of a scenario where that would be an "easy" sell....... Im just drawing a blank.
It's mainly for commercial properties with perimeter security concerns. Often times the general area lighting (parking lots esp.) doesn't extend to the property's perimeter fence. General area lighting is very wattage-intensive - lighting an entire perimeter with less than 200w saves a boat-load of money.

There are also large high-end residential properties with perimeter concerns.

Initial interest is high among security companies who face problems using security cameras in perimeter areas.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
It's mainly for commercial properties with perimeter security concerns. Often times the general area lighting (parking lots esp.) doesn't extend to the property's perimeter fence. General area lighting is very wattage-intensive - lighting an entire perimeter with less than 200w saves a boat-load of money.

There are also large high-end residential properties with perimeter concerns.

Initial interest is high among security companies who face problems using security cameras in perimeter areas.
I see where your going with it. Maybe because you have it pictured on chainlink and barb wire(am I imagining the barb wire?) But I see zero use for this at residential. Not one of my clients have chain link around their property.

Am I being to narrow minded with the pictures? Is this intended to server other purposes besides only being mounted to chain link?

I think the idea is great. Wish I could find a way to incorporate it into my list of services.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im still thinking construction sites or anywhere that rent a fence stuff goes up. Have you thought of making it with some sort of quick connects? I see fence renting companies offering this as a add on to the fence system.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Im still thinking construction sites or anywhere that rent a fence stuff goes up. Have you thought of making it with some sort of quick connects? I see fence renting companies offering this as a add on to the fence system.
Yes, we thought of that and are talking to those people.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve,
Make a bracket that will allow it to attach to a 2x2 or 1x1 aluminum/iron black fencing that we typically see around pool perimeters. My issue though would be that if the lights were placed at a point near the top of the fence, what would people in the pool see looking up?

George
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
Steve,
Make a bracket that will allow it to attach to a 2x2 or 1x1 aluminum/iron black fencing that we typically see around pool perimeters. My issue though would be that if the lights were placed at a point near the top of the fence, what would people in the pool see looking up?

George
Always the problem with pool lighting
Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Steve. You mentioned use along commercial perimeters to aid in security camera visibility. The thing is, most better quality outdoor security cameras I have ever seen include IR LEDs and IR sensing cameras. If the security cameras are not low light or IR sensing, then would it not be more cost effective for them to simply upgrade the cameras?

Also, with the current design of the bracket & stem, how would these be wired? Would you just snake the circuit wire through the fence, or zip tie it? What about connections etc? With infrastructure so visible and accessible, would it not be easily circumvented by anyone with a knife or cutters?

Finally, you mentioned that there are many cases where installed 'general lighting' does not reach to the perimeters of the property. I would suggest in many of those cases that the wrong pole top fixtures have been specified. Often these situations can be solved by switching out the lamp or lamp and reflector combinations and using different IES distribution types. http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdot...s.htm#i1002398 Something which may be more cost effective than adding a secondary perimeter lighting system.

The rendered effect is quite compelling, and I can see where there would be some market for it. Success will hinge greatly on the installed cost. One thing I have learned about commercial outdoor lighting, unless it is absolutely 100% necessary, it is most often nixed because it is perceived as a "non revenue generating expense". Of course our task is to convince the bean counters and owners otherwise.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Guys, valuable comments.

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com