Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Soggy Lawn with Drainage Issues Help Needed.

Hey everyone, me and my wife purchased our first home in late August. We love everything about the house, except the backyard. A few weeks into living there I noticed the backyard was very soggy, even when it hadn't rained all week. As the rains came, i noticed the problems in more depth. Yesterday we got a 10 min downpour so I went out and took some pictures. We really want a healthy DRY lawn.

I have been reading online (this site is great BTW) and am thinking the following; I believe we have clay soil. You can see in the pics, the water just doesn't drain, it just sits on the surface. When its dry, its hard and brittle in some places.

How do I tackle this problem. Do I need to regrade so the water runs in one direction and not sit still? Will regrading fix this in lieu of installing french drains? Do I need french drains? Do I need to scalp and retill the entire lawn adding compost and soil to get a proper soil for nice lawn and soil that can actually drain? Do I need a combo of both solutions (regrade + retill) or (french drains + retill).

I dont think i can do this myself and will probably be hiring a professional. But I dont want to keep throwing money at the problem. I'd like the best solution. So I ask all the pros out there. What do you think I should do? And who do I call? Landscape company? Drainage company? How do I know I am not hiring a fool who doesn't know what he's doing and is just looking for a pay check? All help and advice would be appreciated, as me and my wife would really like to enjoy our backyard this summer. All the standing water has made the mosquitos unbearable. Please help. Thanks in advance.

See link to album with comprehensive pics and descriptions.

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/...new_homeowner/
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Drainage can fix that IF there is a place for the water to go. If you have drainage regrading is unnecessary. I don't think tilling will help at all. Your picture's don't show the surrounding land. That would help a lot.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Drainage can fix that IF there is a place for the water to go. If you have drainage regrading is unnecessary. I don't think tilling will help at all. Your picture's don't show the surrounding land. That would help a lot.
Did you see all 23 pics I posted? I am thinking to direct the water to the drain in my neighbors yard no? Isnt that why there is a swale of rocks between the fences? There are shots of all the neighbors on each side. Let me know what else you need to see, I will take more. I really want to fix this the right way. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes i looked at all your pictures. Most were too general. The wider scale you can show, the better i can help you. Show me what you are thinking of drainage-wise. Let's see some picture's of the neighbor's drain - that could be a problem. How you move water, off your land and on to someone else's can be complicated legally. I am not trying to be negative. You just need to do this right.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I could hop on the roof and take a few more shots (the existing ones were from my 2nd floor windows).

Do you want to see a from the street view instead? From both sides?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From the roof would be nice. But be careful climbing. Take picture's from all 4 corner's of your property. Be sure to take some of where this water is supposed to go.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_homeowner View Post
Did you see all 23 pics I posted? I am thinking to direct the water to the drain in my neighbors yard no? Isnt that why there is a swale of rocks between the fences? There are shots of all the neighbors on each side. Let me know what else you need to see, I will take more. I really want to fix this the right way. Thanks for the reply.
Pictures are basically useless.

Drainage is now the one area I won't even do a free estimate for. Almost any one of the calls, is an on-site visit to determine if that's even the need, or related.

It's also the type of work where I think 90% of landscapers are over their heads to consistently deal with approaching effective solutions.

Here is my advice in a nutshell ...

Read >>> Drainage Advice Mega Page

When it comes to drainage, let's put the photos back in the file, and call an expert out there to take a look, or provide a plan on-site. It's hard enough to deal with on-site, let alone images.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

new pics have been uploaded to the album. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have made you two drawing's and now i have to figure out how to post them. Give me a little while.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fix the soil