Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
John From Florida John From Florida is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 23
Why do people say it's tough in Florida?

Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care's Avatar
Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Florida View Post
Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
Um with gas at $4 a gallon and people don't even want to pay $20 a cut I'm having trouble justifying it myself. I just purchased used almost new equipment in Indiana and moved back down. I used to mow for $60 a month in 2004 and people don't even want to pay that anymore. But gas is 3x higher than 2004. Plus living cost are much higher probably 25% since 2004. I'm own a home outright that we bought here from selling our home up in Indiana and my wife works locally here now. I'm just doing it to get out of the house and hopefully make $25k a year. But I have my reservation of even being able to clear $25k a year with 60 accounts. I only have 6 accounts at this time. I just moved here 3 months ago. I'm spending $300 a month on paper ads and such. I have a large ad also locally here too. But only 1 call in 3 months. The rest are neighbors. You can even see me all over google. I started 5 websites to get coverage. No calls still.

Type in "Florida suncoast lawn care" in Google you will see. I'm in adwords on the right also. But still no calls. It's amazing. Glad I bought a 2010 Bad boy zero turn for $2k instead of $6k and such. And my enclosed trailer for $600.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
stickleylawncare's Avatar
stickleylawncare stickleylawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
Posts: 170
If you are going to FSU, you can hopefully get an easier and better paying job when you graduate than you will do mowing. Unless this is really the business you want to be in and not just a quick cash job with no taxes during college type of thing.
__________________
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
www.stickleyturfandpest.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 PM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaViper View Post
Um with gas at $4 a gallon and people don't even want to pay $20 a cut I'm having trouble justifying it myself. I just purchased used almost new equipment in Indiana and moved back down. I used to mow for $60 a month in 2004 and people don't even want to pay that anymore. But gas is 3x higher than 2004. Plus living cost are much higher probably 25% since 2004. I'm own a home outright that we bought here from selling our home up in Indiana and my wife works locally here now. I'm just doing it to get out of the house and hopefully make $25k a year. But I have my reservation of even being able to clear $25k a year with 60 accounts. I only have 6 accounts at this time. I just moved here 3 months ago. I'm spending $300 a month on paper ads and such. I have a large ad also locally here too. But only 1 call in 3 months. The rest are neighbors. You can even see me all over google. I started 5 websites to get coverage. No calls still.

Type in "Florida suncoast lawn care" in Google you will see. I'm in adwords on the right also. But still no calls. It's amazing. Glad I bought a 2010 Bad boy zero turn for $2k instead of $6k and such. And my enclosed trailer for $600.


hang in there.. its still slow this time of year and will continue to be slow for several more months down here. grass just doesnt grow this time of year and wont till the rains come unless they have sprinklers...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care's Avatar
Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
hang in there.. its still slow this time of year and will continue to be slow for several more months down here. grass just doesnt grow this time of year and wont till the rains come unless they have sprinklers...

Thanks. Oh ya I know it's slow. I just can't seem to find anyone that wants to pay. They want $15 a cut like the prices from 1985. all the pill heads working for beer money have basically torn it way down. There are guys with riding mowers that drive around knocking on doors for $10 a cut. LOL. I had them mow my lawn when I moved down the first day because it was tall plus I had been awake for 2 days straight. LOL. I will eventually be ok. I will pick up some crap one for awhile and then drop them after I get up to about 50 accounts. I know how it works. But man it seems much worse than it used to be. No calls and the prices are unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
MR-G MR-G is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CENTRAL FLORIDA
Posts: 476
its tough but not impossible to pull in a decent salary...depends on how far you want to take it...we used to have 5 crews but now are down to only 3...actually making more net this way....you have to be able to stay flexible and able to change with the cost fluctuations that this economy is throwing at all of us...keep your costs low and stay away from debt !!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Florida View Post
Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
John

There is real money in the green industry but Grass cutting and Bush trimming is not where the real money is. Grass cutting can be a great lost leader for the more profitable SKILLED SERVICES of the green industry. Some people do make a survival wage cutting grass, but Grass cutting takes the least amount of education and every out of worker carpenter is cutting grass.

Landscape design and installation can have HUGE markup. Successful installers of course need both Design Education and People talents and are rewarded for it. Irrigation once again is a skilled trade with a higher profit margin as is Pesticide application on lawns. Once again these are skilled areas of the green industry and areas you might want to target instead of Grass cutting.


..
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
John

There is real money in the green industry but Grass cutting and Bush trimming is not where the real money is. Grass cutting can be a great lost leader for the more profitable SKILLED SERVICES of the green industry. Some people do make a survival wage cutting grass, but Grass cutting takes the least amount of education and every out of worker carpenter is cutting grass.

Landscape design and installation can have HUGE markup. Successful installers of course need both Design Education and People talents and are rewarded for it. Irrigation once again is a skilled trade with a higher profit margin as is Pesticide application on lawns. Once again these are skilled areas of the green industry and areas you might want to target instead of Grass cutting.


..
Very well said RIC!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Very well said RIC!
Posted via Mobile Device
Cajun

First I will tell you what I am going to tell you:

The job world is more about what you know. not what you do. Those who work hardest at meanial jobs make the least. While those who know the most do the least amount of actual work and make the most money.

Now I will Tell You:

Those with a skilled trades make more than those with out skills.


Now I will tell what I told you:

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're fat & stupid.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
stickleylawncare's Avatar
stickleylawncare stickleylawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're fat & stupid.
and old.
__________________
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
www.stickleyturfandpest.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida , getting by , income , opportunity in florida

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.10625 seconds with 7 queries