Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

walker mower 26efi proublems

not sure if this is the right place on this form for this topic.

So I got my new walker mower 26hp efi kohler command pro in dec of 2010 for the snow, i have the 47'' broom attachment for it.
problems:
I've had it out working probably half doz times now and it has blown the oil seal on the crankshaft 3 times, not the side with the pulleys but the side next to the muffler.
It has been in the shop under warranty repair 3 times now. This time i told them I wanted it fixed not just slide a new seal on and put me out the door.
This time they came up with a reason for it blowing the seal... a breather hose on the bottom of the engine is getting ice in it and creating pressure and blowing the seal... So they have put in a call to kohler that was Tues and this is Sat no word back sofar from any one. If the fix doesn't work this time I'm thinking of talking directly to walker and see what they can do for Me.

Oh the last time it blew, the walker was in a heated shop(and let it warm up for 10 min), I loaded it on the trailer, got to the first job and oil every where!!!!!!

has any one else had this problem? please let me know of any problems to look out for or a fix for this one
1999 f250 SD 8'2'' boss super v flat bed
2001 f250 SD 8'2'' boss super v reg bed
16' custom flatbed trailer
mowers and handhelds
2000 walker mower 26efi 42'' mulch deck
2011 walker mower 26efi 42'' ghs deck
3 toro 21'' pro lines
plugger aerator 800
husky chansaw
stihl trimmers
stihl blowers(hand and backback)
stihl hedge trimmers
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry for your problems, I can't help much. I have a 26EFI from 2000 and over 2000 hours on it with original seals. I only run the 42GHS deck on it but I have had very good luck with it. Keep us informed. Walker is a great company to work with. I had a 98 with a 25 Kohler that was junk. Walker did help me out and I got a letter from Bob Walker himself. I would contact them because 3 times is waaay too much.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same 2010 and I had the same seal blow and I can promise no snow was involved. It has only happened once, about a month ago and we fixed it in house. Ours happened on a winter lawn the grass is fine but the street is still stained. Your story has me worried if it happens on some of the natural stone hardscaping we go over it could be a real big problem.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

AZ:
was the breather hose clogged or pinched? I haven't seen the hose they are talking about. I'm ticked off as it is... your post isn't helping. I only have 10? monthes left of warranty I dont want to be stuck with lemon i payed 16.5k for (with attachments)

thank you for your input, I"m sorry your having the same problem but i'm glad someone else has had this problem. EVERY ONE i've talked to doesn't have a clue what i'm talking about. the walker distributor for ALL of Montana has never seen this issue and has assured me that i am priority #1
mowers and handhelds
3 toro 21'' pro lines
plugger aerator 800
husky chansaw
stihl trimmers
stihl hedge trimmers
Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyslawnservice View Post
AZ:
was the breather hose clogged or pinched? I haven't seen the hose they are talking about. I'm ticked off as it is... your post isn't helping. I only have 10? monthes left of warranty I dont want to be stuck with lemon i payed 16.5k for (with attachments)

thank you for your input, I"m sorry your having the same problem but i'm glad someone else has had this problem. EVERY ONE i've talked to doesn't have a clue what i'm talking about. the walker distributor for ALL of Montana has never seen this issue and has assured me that i am priority #1
16.5k!!?? Holy schnikes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
16.5k!!?? Holy schnikes
Posted via Mobile Device
i think it was 11900 for the mower with power dump. no deck 3700 for the broom and hitch and 830? for the 47'' dozer blade
mowers and handhelds
3 toro 21'' pro lines
plugger aerator 800
husky chansaw
stihl trimmers
stihl hedge trimmers
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow did you try calling walker tech support and explainig what is happening? Man this makes me happier about my purchase with my walker diesel in 2009!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
Wow did you try calling walker tech support and explainig what is happening? Man this makes me happier about my purchase with my walker diesel in 2009!
Posted via Mobile Device
no i haven't talked to any one but my dealer and the guy that supplies all of MT's walkers. and u guys of course

UPDATE!
They called me today saying that my walker has been fixed! been 1 week allmost to the hr I dropped it off. He said the guy worked on it for an entire evening trying to get it to pop that seal and finally got it to do it so I asked "how he'd he do it?"... the guy didn't ask....COME ON!! but he said that they put some insulation around the breather hose and cleaned some cooling fan on the engine(its air cooled.. but i may be missing somthing) and he also said that i had some dirty cooling fins on the bottom.. who doesnt. he also said that my problem is i would run it and then park it on the trailer and turn it off, i stopped him there and told him that i kept it running the hole day from the time it leaves till i get home at night. he still insisted that it was because of it cooling off on the drive.

so to recap the reasons it is blowing the seal is:
1: the breather hose is freezing cause i turn it off(i dont).
2:it had a dirty fan(why does that matter its -10? it doesn't break down in the summer it was over 80 for month and half didn't break)
3:dirty air fins

i may be missing somthing
i will be going up tomorrow to pick it up
mowers and handhelds
3 toro 21'' pro lines
plugger aerator 800
husky chansaw
stihl trimmers
stihl hedge trimmers
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I am happy you hopefully have it all worked out. Still as you mentioned sounds very odd.. Keep your eye on the breather hose. It's difficult to imagine a machine that new could have so much excessive debri in the cooling fins. The clean out ports are two gold covers on the corner of the engines blower housing. Week to week check it and if it happens again you will know the problem is not clogged cooling fins as well as breather hose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The cooling fins deal is BS along with the rest of the reasons. Keep a good eye on it and use it frequently if you can. See if you can get it to blow again. You have a documented history with this motor so any more problems and I would be screaming of a new one.
Good Luck

Tags
kohler , kohler oil leak , walker mower , walker oil leak