Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wisconsin Pesticide Applicator Exam

I am looking at taking the exam to get certified to use chemicals/fertilizers in Wisconsin. Some of the commercial accounts i am bidding on require spraying. Just had a few questions about this?

1. Can i take it online?
2. How long does the training take?
3. How much does it cost total?
4. Do you actually learn anything?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will learn about 'calibration', nozzle settings, droplet size, AI%, @ $80.00... but not much else...
The function and method of operation, of the herbicide, doesn't seem to be a part of it.

They can send you a tape/dvd of seminar lectures and a book. We had to travel to a larger city for the TEST itself.

Niether the licensing people, the extension offices, nor the horticultural colleges will teach discernment of the actual herbicides involved with your program... You are left to the mercy of the Drug Companies and their Salesmen for any and all information they are will to impart... Unless , of course, you are willing to research it yourself...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked it up. I have to travel to Madison to take the test. I was told i am able to buy a video that goes over everything so all i have to do is show up and take the test.
Is the test difficult?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
I just looked it up. I have to travel to Madison to take the test. I was told i am able to buy a video that goes over everything so all i have to do is show up and take the test.
Is the test difficult?
Ryan, you will need to purchase the training manual regardless if you buy the DVD. Read the manual. 40% of the people that take the test fail. reason being they did not read the manual. if you have a hard time learning from just reading the manual there are sites online where you can make your own tests and study that way. The manual is $45.00.

If you are a wisconsin veteran the state will waive your license fee one time. this will help you financially to get your business going.

The maunual will teach you a lot. there is also a lot of stuff in the book that just boils down to common sense. my best advice to you is buy the manual, read it, and get properly licensed. the cost of this is well worth it to become a professional.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Manual - $45
Individual License - $54/yr - for the employee doing apps
Business License - $108/yr - for the business doing the apps

So as a solo you would have $162/yr for your licenses. Add $54/yr for each employee.
The test is not hard but like said above you must read and study. The amt of time you need to study depends on your ability to retain info. The manual is really efficient. At the beginning of each chapter it has bold points that will be on the test. I read those and then when reading chapter I highlighted the info that correlated to the bold points at beginning of chapter and then for study just concentrated on what was highlighted. I took mine at a state building in Green Bay.

Swampy hit it on the head the main focus is to teach you to read a label I was upset about that as I was hoping to learn more about the actual product and how it works for certain situations.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, if you read the book and know how to search for information on a label. Speaking of that I have to recertify this year.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How chemicals actually accomplish the job is the critical bit of information that creates a professional. Following directions on the label ensures the most amount of product used for least amount of result.
Why do you think there are split apps for pre-m now days? Why is it always mixed with the NPK for HOs.?

People should have an understanding of what they are dealing with, but the licensing system doesn't teach you anything except "Read the Label".

Run your business as though you are a very astute HO...
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you take the test up in Madison Swampy?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No Waukesha County Court house, but that was years ago.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Mn, I have to buy 3 books. I can't remember how much they cost but it was a lot of reading. I don't think you can take it online. I learn alot, and I did not have to pay to take the test. Make sure you read the books good, cuz you only get 3 chances to take the test.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
pesticide applicator