Register free!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Running maintenance company out of a dump

I've been looking at setups for a few weeks lately and came to the conclusion I need a dump trailer and regular trailer unless I go with a dump truck. I've been looking over the net and have found a few dumps with 8x10 beds which I could park my mowers side by side and have 5x8 ft of storage for debris while using the mowers. I will mount under body tool boxes for equipment parts, tools, straps etc. This will give me a relative compact truck combo for mowing and be able to do other bigger jobs without using any trailers. I plan on using a f450/550 regular cab chassis with the dump box. I figure fuel will be about even since I won't have a trailer and the added dump body is about the same weight of a trailer minus the friction of the extra tandem tires on the road and increase drag of an enclosed trailer. I will save tons by not having to store two trailers and a truck. What do you guys think for a mostly mow and go operation in FL but we also do about 20% of our revenue in bigger hardscape/sod jobs. I plan on building a detachable two section ramp for the mowers and a wood drop in back for the dump box that can be moved from the 5x8 position to the full box position. I can fabricate anything I could need in house myself so if I need to adopt. The only downfall I see is having to walk up and down the ramp to grab each piece of handheld equipment. I was thinking of under mounting one edger, line trimmer, and blower. Then I would mount a rack in the back for backup equipment.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I've been looking at setups for a few weeks lately and came to the conclusion I need a dump trailer and regular trailer unless I go with a dump truck. I've been looking over the net and have found a few dumps with 8x10 beds which I could park my mowers side by side and have 5x8 ft of storage for debris while using the mowers. I will mount under body tool boxes for equipment parts, tools, straps etc. This will give me a relative compact truck combo for mowing and be able to do other bigger jobs without using any trailers. I plan on using a f450/550 regular cab chassis with the dump box. I figure fuel will be about even since I won't have a trailer and the added dump body is about the same weight of a trailer minus the friction of the extra tandem tires on the road and increase drag of an enclosed trailer. I will save tons by not having to store two trailers and a truck. What do you guys think for a mostly mow and go operation in FL but we also do about 20% of our revenue in bigger hardscape/sod jobs. I plan on building a detachable two section ramp for the mowers and a wood drop in back for the dump box that can be moved from the 5x8 position to the full box position. I can fabricate anything I could need in house myself so if I need to adopt. The only downfall I see is having to walk up and down the ramp to grab each piece of handheld equipment. I was thinking of under mounting one edger, line trimmer, and blower. Then I would mount a rack in the back for backup equipment.

My issue with Dumps has always been the added weight and the fuel consumption and wear and tear that has. Sounds like you have that figured out but fuel consistently going up year after year I do not see myself going bigger and stronger but rather smaller and lighter.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
My issue with Dumps has always been the added weight and the fuel consumption and wear and tear that has. Sounds like you have that figured out but fuel consistently going up year after year I do not see myself going bigger and stronger but rather smaller and lighter.
Smaller and lighter can actually cost you more. Making multiple dump trips cost you fuel and time, lighter vehicles don't handle hauling weight well and will break down faster. Not saying either is right or wrong just saying smaller doesn't always mean less fuel and or less cost for landscaping.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Smaller and lighter can actually cost you more. Making multiple dump trips cost you fuel and time, lighter vehicles don't handle hauling weight well and will break down faster. Not saying either is right or wrong just saying smaller doesn't always mean less fuel and or less cost for landscaping.
FL,

This could be true for someone like you that is doing installs, topdressing, verticutting and of course large commercial mulch jobs...but for most of us simple lawn turds...light matters for getting the mowers from point a to point b.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
FL,

This could be true for someone like you that is doing installs, topdressing, verticutting and of course large commercial mulch jobs...but for most of us simple lawn turds...light matters for getting the mowers from point a to point b.
What kind of mileage are you getting on average with your setup?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Between 13 an 16 depending on factors like traffic flow and the route for the day.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
What kind of mileage are you expecting to get with your new setup? I am interested as we have two large controllable cost in our industry that effect our bottom line dramatically and that is labor and fuel, so if the potential to have more room while saving is there I am all for it.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
FL,

Absolutely true, one size doesn't fit all, you need what works for your situation. I just wanted to point out a few things to think about.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought an F450 dump last year with an 8' x 12' bed. It works great pulling a trailer with my 48" Turf Tracer and 60" lazer with more than enough room in the bed of the truck for debris for spring and fall cleanups. I built underbody toolboxes to hold blowers, gas cans, tools, etc. and mounted my trimmer racks on the wooden stake sides that I built. This way, during the spring and summer, I can run my regular maintenance routes with just the truck and the removable dovetail and ramp that I built to load my mowers directly onto my truck. Works great and very versatile.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Little confusing on the space available for machines, is 5x8 enough? I see dump rigs and trailer all the time, GM makes a nice unit and Isuzu has one too.

Have a buddy that converted a box truck, the ramp is pretty steep. I'd be uncomfotable with it.