Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TrueGreen Pricing lol!

Did a quote for a customer who has 36K and I was at 180.00, TG.......77.00. Seriously, they are at about $2/K. Ridiculous!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineline View Post
Did a quote for a customer who has 36K and I was at 180.00, TG.......77.00. Seriously, they are at about $2/K. Ridiculous!!!
Let me tell ya.......beating a TrueGreen bid can be easy. The best way to go about it is to find an ad of their's where they advertise "First application for only $29.95". I take this ad, a similar one from Scott's, and similar ones from several other well-known lawncare outfits and show them to a prospect up front. The fine print usually will read something like, "First application only on lawns up to 5000 square feet. After that, regular rates apply."
I then show them how my program/pricing is superior overall, and usually get the contract. Just remember: you need to take your competition's ads with you and show the potential client UP FRONT. By doing this, you prevent the big boys from offering a strong rebuttal. BTW, how's business in Akron--I'm a native buckeye.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Were they doing it previously for $77.00 an app or was that just their quote to this customer?

Either way it doesn't surprise me, I've seen it many times. They don't measure anything really and more than likely on this property in question the tech was only covering part of it, or all of it very lightly. I've watched them push spread a 30' wide strip with one pass down the center with the lesco spreader.

I know of one that I took over from them, customer was not happy with them, and their sq. footage on the sheet was almost HALF of what I measured. I was obviously higher priced, but offered a better service.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're doing fairly well this year. What part of the State are you from?

Typically most of my customers come over from TG and Scotts because the people aren't satisfied. I sell a premium application that is custom blended and very rich. When I ask people if they want a quote and they say if you are competitive with TG we'll listen. I tell them up front that I am always more per app but I will put out double the nutrients in 4 apps then they will do in 6-7. TG had a good year last year because of all the rain and humidity. Even unfertilized yards looked great by the end of the season. If we get some really tough weather (hot and dry) the TG lawns will look like crap again because there isn't anything in the ground to help the plant get through. It just blows my mind that the sales jock in the sweat shop blows it out at $77.00 and leaves the applicator to build his pay based on $77 on 36K. I'd be super pissed!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineline View Post
We're doing fairly well this year. What part of the State are you from?

Typically most of my customers come over from TG and Scotts because the people aren't satisfied. I sell a premium application that is custom blended and very rich. When I ask people if they want a quote and they say if you are competitive with TG we'll listen. I tell them up front that I am always more per app but I will put out double the nutrients in 4 apps then they will do in 6-7. TG had a good year last year because of all the rain and humidity. Even unfertilized yards looked great by the end of the season. If we get some really tough weather (hot and dry) the TG lawns will look like crap again because there isn't anything in the ground to help the plant get through. It just blows my mind that the sales jock in the sweat shop blows it out at $77.00 and leaves the applicator to build his pay based on $77 on 36K. I'd be super pissed!
Originally from North Royalton, but last lived in Walhaven area of Akron.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Originally from North Royalton, but last lived in Walhaven area of Akron.
I live right by Stan Hywet. Small world!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And invite them to search for TruGreen complaints online--it will take a few hours. Its OK to mention that they will get many upsell calls from an out of state call center, (aeration, lime, grub control, extra aps number 8 and 9). Don't forget to mention how they never paid social security taxes for myself and most of their employees in 1980. I worked for them for a whole year--and social security shows that I had zero earnings in that year.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
And invite them to search for TruGreen complaints online--it will take a few hours. Its OK to mention that they will get many upsell calls from an out of state call center, (aeration, lime, grub control, extra aps number 8 and 9). Don't forget to mention how they never paid social security taxes for myself and most of their employees in 1980. I worked for them for a whole year--and social security shows that I had zero earnings in that year.
Good point. I've spent some time reading both the customer complaints website and the employee complaint website. These guys are worse than if Walmart got into the business. That 36K customer might start freaking during a drought trying to keep it green with his irrigation water. He could easily spend a couple grand trying to keep it green because the grass and the soil are not fed well.
I take over accounts at double the price because they get what they wanted in the first place......healthy, dark green grass.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't answer when driving, but point out that you respond to all calls within 60 minutes. If you are aggressive and really want to beat out TG. Say you can take calls 6 am to midnight, 7 days. And that you can do problem checks and resprays within 24 hours. Big companies just cannot do that. And that you have more training and experience than most employees of big companies. Many don't even have pesticide certification licenses.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice! I can overcome the price objective but since my customer base that I am targeting is the same as our long existing irrigation customers I can't give them too much pressure. There are certain guys that think they are so brilliant that they got TG down on their price. They are the ones to laugh at when there lawns look like crap and only they give a damn. Those are great points though Rigg!