Register free!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

EPA, Do not apply if Rain in the next 24 hrs

I am posting this in the Florida forum because of our summer rainy season.

The EPA had made changes to all Synthetic Pyrethroid labels (Bifenthrin etc etc) so no application before a predicted rain in the next 24 hrs.

That pretty much means no application from the 2nd weed of June to the 3rd week of Sept. Of course what is the threshold of Predicted Rain Fall in the next 24 hours. 20% 30% 50% 70%???? Just because rain is predicted doesn't mean it will fall in every location or even any location.

IMHO The EPA won't be happy until we all are doing Pest Control with Fly swatters.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why my working policy has been no applications of anything if rain is forecast within the next 24 hours. I would feel quite the idiot if my treatment went down the storm drain. A customer chiseling me by saying:"but it isn't raining right now, why aren't you here?" when we are in the middle of bad weather gets them fired.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
This is why my working policy has been no applications of anything if rain is forecast within the next 24 hours. I would feel quite the idiot if my treatment went down the storm drain. A customer chiseling me by saying:"but it isn't raining right now, why aren't you here?" when we are in the middle of bad weather gets them fired.
Green Doctor

I posted this in the Florida forum for Florida CPO people. We have a every day rainy season that can drop 55 inches of rain in a 3 month period. If we have to wait for No Rain, Chinch bugs etc would be the size of whales. But Thank you for your input.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That's a great practice, but the sad truth is the environmentalists would find a way to make regulations anyway. They are anti everything, especially industry and chemicals of any sort. We don't exactly have smog filled skies and glowing green toxic rivers and lakes in this country anymore. Mostly all make believe stories to support their agenda.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
That's a great practice, but the sad truth is the environmentalists would find a way to make regulations anyway. They are anti everything, especially industry and chemicals of any sort. We don't exactly have smog filled skies and glowing green toxic rivers and lakes in this country anymore. Mostly all make believe stories to support their agenda.
On the one hand I agree that many enviros go over board. OTOH, it is because of the pressure they apply that we now have cleaner air and water. There are still many pollution problems and they are all much cheaper to prevent than to clean up.

Amazing things can be accomplished when people work together rather than blaming each other.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
On the one hand I agree that many enviros go over board. OTOH, it is because of the pressure they apply that we now have cleaner air and water. There are still many pollution problems and they are all much cheaper to prevent than to clean up.

Amazing things can be accomplished when people work together rather than blaming each other.
Unfortunately working together is a thing of the past I'm afraid. And I agree with everything you said. This economy is struggling in many sectors and I think the EPA is to blame for a lot of it. They do help in many ways but they (like most gov agencies) have become to bloated and become a great hindrance to many industries, often for no rational reason. Now I should probably get off the subject as I did a self imposed banning from the political forum to avoid these issues. Although it seems it would be a reasonable debate with you Barry and not an emotional heated argument like it usually ends up.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

i thought biferin needed rain or water to activate so it kills better.
thats what the label says, always read the label and keep a copy of the label
handy is case u forget. the test has ?'s on the label. Doesn't the EPA know
about reading the label ?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Slow Dog

In order for a rule or law to be effective it must be accepted or embraced by the People. Case in point is the well disputed Obama Health Care That will surely be over turned if the Republicans win in Nov.

When to EPA change the label they did not take into account the public acceptance of that change. Most Local CPO's I have talked to know of no economical way to follow the 24 hr no rain rule.

Oh Sure I could kill Fire Ants with Arena @ $ 535.00 plus tax and 3 acres of coverage. That is over $ 4.00 per Thousand Sq Ft.

bamaturf

Pyrethroids actually need to dry in order to be effective. Too much Watering in will actually wash it away or down the drain where the EPA doesn't want it. I apply pyrethroids at low rate but 5 gallon of carrier per thousand to have the most effective control and at the least collateral damage.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many fly swatters per acre?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric, Well stated.

I am no spray guy but I would assume any company that dose a good job will feel the restriction in direct result with the service they provide. If it is truly based on a chance of rain this would make impossible to spray during a large part of peek bug season. Everyday in the rainy season is a 20% chance of rain. LOL