Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

super lawn trucks reviews?

Anyone on here have one? We're ending our lease on our switch-n-go equipped lcf this august so I'm starting to kick around the options. I really liked the switch-n-go system but we're growing our maintenance division so it's not getting used enough as a dump (we find ourselves w/ the maintenance bed more and more, which is good)

I really like this unit for our walker, but I think I prefer their "eco" model that has the 1 piece ramp instead of the 2 piece unit

I surely want the dump box on the front, likely the 5yd version instead of the smaller one
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've looked at them, but I'm going to buy a used hino and have ramps made up.

However, if you're going to want a dump section, etc... they are probably a good solution.

There is also another company called Vanscapes. They make a comparable product and you're not paying to buy a product with Tony Bass' name on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-GhZKhqqE

Not sure if this company is still in business though, just googled for their webpage.

Question, for the dump box, how do you get the debris in there? Will a walker with a high dump be able to dump inside of when tilted?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinkinng id buy the walker bins.. They look like drawers that fit in the hopper, escentially cutting the load into two lifts instead of one heavy one.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
I was thinkinng id buy the walker bins.. They look like drawers that fit in the hopper, escentially cutting the load into two lifts instead of one heavy one.
They need a walker super hi dump lol

But another option might be to mount a leaf vac right on the dump hopper.

Then you could not only suck out the mower dumper but also leafs, trash pile, etc... during cleanups...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

let me ask you guys that already have box trucks... I seriously am considering going gas with this truck, frankly because diesel is $, diesel engines are $ and we don't do the miles with this crew to pay it off... current truck is an 08 and has 57k

is a gas isuzu super underpowered? or am i going to be fine... I don't need fast, don't want fast in fact but not too slow.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV
is a gas isuzu super underpowered? or am i going to be fine... I don't need fast, don't want fast in fact but not too slow.
I haven't driven them back to back, but the gas Isuzu should be at least as fast or probably faster than the diesel. It has a roughly 85 hp advantage. It has less torque, but makes up for it by having super-low (like in the 5:1 range) gears in the rear end. I would imagine they are thirsty, probably around 8 mpg.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds good. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

SLT says the gas isuzu should get 12 the diesel 11 and the mitfuso around 15... I already have a mitfuso and leaning that way now.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV
SLT says the gas isuzu should get 12 the diesel 11 and the mitfuso around 15... I already have a mitfuso and leaning that way now.
I wonder if SLT is a little optimistic on the mileage figures for the gas Isuzu. I have the same motor in a pickup and pulling a little 6x12 enclosed I'm lucky to get 11. Odd that they say the gas gets better mileage than the diesel. If that's the case why would someone buy the diesel if it costs more, gets worse mileage and has less power?

If SLT offers a Mitfuso option and you like that truck I would say go for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
I wonder if SLT is a little optimistic on the mileage figures for the gas Isuzu. I have the same motor in a pickup and pulling a little 6x12 enclosed I'm lucky to get 11. Odd that they say the gas gets better mileage than the diesel. If that's the case why would someone buy the diesel if it costs more, gets worse mileage and has less power?

If SLT offers a Mitfuso option and you like that truck I would say go for it.
he corrected himself later... mistyped it as it should have been ~8
After running the numbers we're going w/ the diesel mitfuso. we have a mitfuso already and it's been a great truck so we're optimistically adding another to the fleet. getting the 16' eco body and 5 yd dumper box.... pending approval from the boss.