Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilization & Pest Control

All,

I am starting a new Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control Company in the Clermont Area. I have been at the door to sales now for a few weeks and I just can't seem to make any headway. I have no new customers that don't share a last name with me. Can anyone please give me some pointers? I have had my own mowing company before and that was actually pretty easy to sell but this seems much more difficult.

I have a nice fully wrapped spray rig and company shirts I look proffesional, but I am getting turned away by everyone. Also, my prices are right in line with everyone elses so I'm not sure what my mistake is so far.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you really competing with TG's infamous 19.99 price point? With the current economy, CPO work is almost a luxury. Keep plugging, the rains and mild winter are guaranteeing massive weed explosions. Are you still mowing? Try finding some cutters to network with.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Magic Grass,

What is it that separates you from everyone else? How are you expressing this to the potential customers who do get to talk too?
IMHO experience the L & O business side of things you have two kinds of customers. Those that trust and believe the true brown salesman and all his magic potions and those that have went that route and had bad experiences such as replacing major areas of their lawn and have switched to some one in the community that has a excellent reputation and will not switch because of price.

There are most likely little niche markets here and there too that I do not know about but the above is what I have experienced in my travels.

Smart or not I do not know but what a lot of the start ups have did here is start out slightly above the TG prices and try to do quality work for those prices. Some make it and start doing a little big better each year until they end up truly getting prices that they can really address all issues that they need. We have several that have made there place in the market in recent couple of years.

In the end I think it will come down to sales man ship if you are trying to get decent prices.

If you used to mow why not mow and spray until you are up and going strong? You should be able to pick up quality customers that are looking for someone that can handle and be responsible for everything.
Having total control of the lawns care should allow you lawns to stand out if you are good at both aspects of the business I would guess. This lawns should stand out to the neighbors and you should be a able to pick up a few accounts here and there in those neighborhoods and you can make them stand out too.

Don't know for sure as I am just a lawn turd throwing some suggestions out there.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Grass View Post
All,

I am starting a new Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control Company in the Clermont Area. I have been at the door to sales now for a few weeks and I just can't seem to make any headway. I have no new customers that don't share a last name with me. Can anyone please give me some pointers? I have had my own mowing company before and that was actually pretty easy to sell but this seems much more difficult.

I have a nice fully wrapped spray rig and company shirts I look proffesional, but I am getting turned away by everyone. Also, my prices are right in line with everyone elses so I'm not sure what my mistake is so far.
Magic

I am assuming you are experienced in doing quality work because you are certified and licensed by the state. Try and network with as many Lawn cutter in your area as possible. You can offer them a valuable service by networking on the same accounts to make those customer's yards have WOW FACTOR.

I network with a couple of Members here and I am sure they will tell you, both of us are better off because we network.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough time for a start-up. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
Tough time for a start-up. Good luck.
Bugs

I am actually having an increase in business. Partly because I am advertising Fire Ant Control now and Low Balling my price to $ 5.00 a Thousand. I still have a HUGE profit margin at a Completive price and I even set up a separate spray truck just for Straight Insect (no Fert etc) spraying and GHP. So as a one man band I have two different spray trucks.

I will agree it is a tough time to start up. But being an election year I believe we are in a false economy. I hate to say it but I look for a real bust after the election and feel it might be worse than 08.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.