Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Banned

Good article on knowing your costs..

Good article in the recent issue of Tree Care Industry magazine.
It's written by Charles Vander Kooi. And although it's in a Tree magazine, it can apply to anyone in the green industry.

Helps you get a grip on understanding your costs to do a job, which will help you price the job better and be more profitable.

Good reading.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go Getter,

For those of us who do not have a subscription is there a link to the article on the net? Sounds good just wondering?
Old 12-12-2002, 11:26 PM
Banned

I just looked at thier site and it looks like they still have Novembers feature articles up, and this article is in Decembers issue.
But here's a link to the NAA site (National Arborist Association). Tree Care Industry magazine is put out by the NAA. And you can subscribe for free.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go Getter,

Thank You! Question? Have you written a business plan?
This is new to me. Can you check out my new thread?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

<http://www.natlarb.com/>
Old 12-14-2002, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Charles VanderKooi

I am a big fan of Vander Kooi after only one session. I was invited by a paver distributer to go to this session that lasted about 5 hours of speaking......not a glimpse of falling asleep or having the mind wonder. He is upbeat and very, very imformative. I would highly recommend any of his material.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is about 2 years old, but I went to see Charles VanderKooi speak yesterday. If any of you get the chance to see him, it was well worth the money. Like Katwalk said, he is very upbeat and funny, kept our attention for the whole day. My head was spinning when I left, it was a lot to take in in one day. It was really eye opening to see the systems he has for calculating costs, budgeting, and recovering overhead. He even spoke a bit on "lowballers".
I thought I had a pretty good grasp on my numbers, but he showed me I could be doing a lot better. I guess that is better than not knowing
Old 02-06-2005, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

he is the industry's leading consultant for a reason.

when i read his book, it really made me feel empowered.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought his book, too YardPro. I take it it was well worth the money. It was a lot for one day, but I figured I could go through the book slowly and figure it out. I've been frustrated the last few years with the way things are going, and I feel this is what I needed to make some changes.
I know how everyone here loves to talk about "scrubs" and "lowballers". He pointed to all of us and said "Everyone here was a lowballer, everyone" You have to be when you are trying to make a name for yourself. He told a great story about a 2 day seminar he gave to concrete contractors. Both days, a stretch limo pulled up, and two guys in work boots and dirty jeans got out. On the second day, Charles said he had to ask what the story was. The guys told him that their BIGGEST COMPETITOR had paid for the seminar and the limo to get them there.
About 6 months later, Charles met the competitor who sent those guys. He said it cost him about $1,000 but it was the best money he ever spent because those guys prices went WAY up. Charles answer to lowballers is Show Them The Light. Everyone wants to make more money, including "scrubs" and "lowballers".
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When visiting his site, http://www.vkassociates.com/vk_const_book.html, I noticed that he had several books and tapes available. Is this the book you are referring to? Troubleshooting Your Contracting Business to Cause Success ó $40. If not which one? Also if anyone has a copy of the article mentioned in the first post, I would appreciate if you could send me a copy, either by pm or e-mail. Thanks