Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

New Grass and Dimension

I planted new grass seed 3 or 4 weeks ago and it has start coming up pretty nicely. Of course, I'm new to the whole lawn renovation and lawn care thing, so it may not be as great as what a professional would say. Anyways, I'm wondering how soon I can put down some Lesco 19-0-6 .15% Dimension without it harming the new grass. I've already mowed the new stuff once and it held up very well(from what I can tell)

Also, I've read in many different places that after applying a fertilizer its important to water your lawn to allow the pelts to get down into the soil to allow them to work. I'm a new homeowner and don't want to/can't afford to water my lawn every day, so I'm wondering how often I should water for it to be effective? I assume the spring isn't as vital as in the middle of summer, but is once a week adequate, twice a week?

Thank in advance for any help!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

location? You do not mention what state you are in--nor what type of grass.
The label for Dimension says something like after the second mowing. But it also says something like with good rooting system and well established.
So mow again and sock it on.
Water it in after--just to get the pellets into the soil. No need for special water after that--just do what you need to do to keep it from getting brown.

I am doing some quick and dirty experiments to see if the Dimension label is right or perhaps a bit conservative. So far Dimension was applied to small flower pots growing new grass that is 2 inches tall--no harm to grass visible yet.

I am planning to try applying Dimension to new grass I planted today to see if it can be applied to very new grass, and yet be in time for crabgrass control. Waiting for new grass to be about 2 inches tall before I treat it.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I am doing some quick and dirty experiments to see if the Dimension label is right or perhaps a bit conservative. So far Dimension was applied to small flower pots growing new grass that is 2 inches tall--no harm to grass visible yet.

I am planning to try applying Dimension to new grass I planted today to see if it can be applied to very new grass, and yet be in time for crabgrass control. Waiting for new grass to be about 2 inches tall before I treat it.
Dependent on AI.

Zac Reicher, while at Purdue, did a test study of dithiopyr .13 on cool season grasses 2 weeks post emergence without any ill effects to shoot growth or root pruning.