Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Way to do where lawn meets street?

Trying to decide the best course of action here. The yard has a bit of a slope from the left to the right (in the picture),
as well as from the house towards the street a little bit. Currently the grass just buts up to this little gulley adjacent to
the street that is about 1' wide. I am putting in a 4' picket fence around the front yard, maybe 4' off the road; I could
go closer or further. Nothing in local codes dictates.

Don't know if I should doe a small 2-3-4 course retaining wall type thing or what. I don't know if I want to do grass up
to the fence, mulch/flowers on the street side. Or do mulch on both sides of the fence out a couple feet. If anyone has
done something similar or could give me ideas on what looks nice, I'd love to see/hear.

Thanks so much.

The water runs off the crowned street into that little gulley there and zips on down the road in front of my yard.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

one problem i see with a retaining wall is the easement. In most cases i believe if anything is in the easement, the city has the right to rip it out if it interferes with construction. Im saying this because it looks as thought there is no curb and gutter so that could be a possible problem in the future.

Just something to watch out for
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most easements are 6ft from the road. Plus if its a State road it could be even farther back. And town code if you can put any type of fence in the front yard
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah there is not much to 'retain' as far as retaining wall. Just something nicer looking than shaggy grass butting up to the street. No issues with the fence in the front yard. I've seen them literally next to the street.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed about the easement.

I see a utility pole in one of your pics. That and I'm willing to bet the neighbors fence stops at the easement line.

So I would either find the easement and build a wall back towards the easement line and grade to the street.

If you don't do a wall, then you could do boulders or some sort of larger stone garden with a fence on the high side. Then slope back at the easement line and landscape to the curb with generic perennials that can either be dug up easily or destroyed without any issues.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then there comes the issue if you can actually grade that easement without risk of running into any utilities.

Personally, I'd go with the natural boulder retention if you want to dress it up. Regardless of how close you can get to the road, I'd go back as far as I could. If you get much snow in your area, there's going to be a lot of salt/snow damage to any concrete retaining wall block if it get splash and throw back on your property.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could also do a solid wall of green emerald arborvitae for a natural 9ft. fence in your front yard. That and it would help as a sound buffer.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do the wood fence, I would grass up to it on the inside, and landscape the street side and the front foundation. I wouldn't fool with a retaining wall. I'd consider painting your front door red or black too. Can't tell if the shutters are green or black, but I would have them black and door red. Certaiinly need some softening on that left corner--it seems off balance.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Haven't had a chance to finish this yet, but I did get out there and knock down the highs and fill the lows a bit in preparation for the fence. Ended up being tied up with some other things. I didn't think about the plow trucks, that's a good point.

Used to have ~6' privacy bushes, but wanted to open it up. We don't have serious crime, but, there is some, and we have a lot of stupid punk neighborhood kids. Prefer to keep it open and lit up. I DO want to get something like that for the back yard, but, that's another thread in-itself.

My shutters are black. Good call on the door color. I need to replace the storm door as well. My honey-do list is ridiculous.

What do you mean by softening on the left corner?
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard