Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Service Magic and Angie's List

What is everyone's reviews/experience with these websites?

I've already signed up for Angie's List and am waiting for a call back Monday about signing up for Service Magic.

It sounds like a good service but I am a bit hesitant to pay per lead.

Questions, especially about service magic:

1) How good were the leads you received?

2) What was your rate of conversion (how many actually turned into clients)?

3) How many leads did you get per week/month and how much did it cost you?

4) Any complaints about how the company treated you or about the service in general?

Thanks for the input folks, hopefully some people with experience will chime in.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did Service Magic briefly- its a system that rewards the fast and cheap.

Look at Redbeacon, Thumbtack, and Homeblue. I prefer all three of them- especially Redbeacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I did Service Magic briefly- its a system that rewards the fast and cheap.

Look at Redbeacon, Thumbtack, and Homeblue. I prefer all three of them- especially Redbeacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Redbeacon looks great but does not work in my area.

The appeal of service magic to me was that it was more direct. The leads coming to you instead of you coming to the leads.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did service magic a few years ago and hated it. I would not recommend using them.
I have been using Angie's List for a while now and it has not worked out for me. I have not gotten a call, email anything. Most people on there are looking for business who already have reviews. But hey its free!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I did service magic a few years ago and hated it. I would not recommend using them.
I have been using Angie's List for a while now and it has not worked out for me. I have not gotten a call, email anything. Most people on there are looking for business who already have reviews. But hey its free!
When you do a job for a customer ask them if they are on Angies list. If so ask them if they would write a review for you. I am on there not as an advertiser but ffrom customers reviewing me. I have gotten several jobs from it.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
Angie's list ppl are so knit picky and annoying ! Some will even threaten u with a bad review if you don't comply to their every whiny need
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
NO, they are not. They are the type of customer who wants a job well done. As every customer should, no matter the source.

They are willing to pay a fair price for it as well and they DO pay fast. You fall short?... You are held accountable. Been a great resource for us.

HAHA! Remember this??? vvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Just got a call.

"I saw your reviews on Angie's List and wanted to get an estimate for mowing my lawn this season."

When I asked for the address, she said, "Well, let me ask you something first".

"I have "Greeny Green" come and fertilize and he said that if you cut the grass too often, it's bad for it - can you come only when I call?"

I explained that with the exception of a few tiny, city lots that are shaded by trees and can be cut every two weeks, I do my cuts on a weekly basis because waiting two weeks is generally too long and it's hard to cut properly then.

"Oh - no that's too often - maybe 10 days or so?"

I politely continued on, but there was no way I was taking on a "just come when I need it cut" job.
She said she would try someone else and thanked me for my time.

She called me back five days later...

"Hi we talked before and you said that you only cut on a weekly basis... now what about when it doesn't need cut?"

Oh boy, here we go...

I explained that if we are seeing drought conditions - where they are actually using the word "drought" on the news - and if the grass would be damaged by cutting, that I would then skip it if that would be best for the lawn. I then added that I am only agreeable to "skipping a week" if I am the one making the decision to do so. "I'm not going to mow a dry, brown lawn just to make a buck, but I also need to be the one to determine when it will be skipped."

She seemed reluctant (remember - she wanted someone to come only when she called), but continued on...

OMG, it was one thing after another. She went on about how the last guy didn't indicate sales tax on her bill and that she didn't want to get in trouble, so she called the state to see what she owed in sales tax. She actually went and paid the state sales tax on the totals she had paid for the year. I tried to explain that the lawn guy likely had the tax included in the price and that she was under no obligation to pay tax on it - that it was HIS responsibility to pay the tax because he had already collected it. Nope - she wasn't hearing any of it. This is the same one who thinks mowing weekly is bad for the lawn because the fertilizing guy said it was.

She also asked if I was insured. "Absolutely", I replied.

She asked if I would consider giving her an estimate. I didn't want anything to do with her to be honest, but was polite and said "Sure, just give me an address and I'll stop to take a look.
"Can you come on Saturday?"
"Sure", I replied "but I can't tell you exactly when it will be because I have other jobs I'm doing that day.
"Well, I need to know because I have other people scheduled to come too."
"How about 10am then?"
"OK, I will see you at 10 on Saturday. Thank you... OH! And you'll bring a copy of your insurance policy, right?!!!"

OMG

"Yes, I can do that", I replied before we ended the conversation.

I looked it up online and it's a corner lot owned by the same person for at least 30 years. The satellite view shows splotchy brown patches in the lawn while those surrounding it are nice and green. Nothing about the property suggests that there has ever been any real care given to it.

I was already planning on bidding it high, but thankfully she called yesterday and cancelled - she had decided to look elsewhere.

I'd be surprised if half of her appointments show up. I would have because that's just the way I am - if I say I'll take a look, I will.
I'm just glad I don't have to now. Someone else's problem.
I wonder if she will call again.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah... and after I said I'd come out to give an estimate, she started talking, then abruptly stopped and said, "Is that a FREE estimate?"

Yeah, I feel bad for whoever gets that account.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
Thanks, went ahead and signed up for your website. Plan to get as many leads from as many quality sites as possible.

Still on the fences about Service Magic, it seems not many people like it but many use it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post

Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
What do you charge for leads?
Does each provider pay for the lead or only the one that books the job?