Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Sponsor

Where do you rent from and why?

For all of you landscape contractors out there, I have a simple question. Where do you rent from and why? I'll use the answers to better my service offering to you.

#Rent3Get4Free
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What a general Question. Rent as in which equipment?

I generally rent Equipment from Buddies or Close/ local Rental stores. Due to price (Loyalty/ business discounts.) And all around supporting local businesses. Which i would hope refer me to someone if they came across a person in need of my services.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
What a general Question. Rent as in which equipment?

I generally rent Equipment from Buddies or Close/ local Rental stores. Due to price (Loyalty/ business discounts.) And all around supporting local businesses. Which i would hope refer me to someone if they came across a person in need of my services.
Sorry Lazor. I meant mini-skids, skid steers, mini-ex, trenchers etc. The smaller side of heavy equipment, larger side of garden and landscape.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to rent from a place called general rent all. I like them because they have a wide selection of equipment that other locals don't have. If something breaks they drive out to my location and fix it. Sometimes they give you some tips on how to better use the product if your not familiar with it. Great customer service sums it up.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

If I need a piece of equipment I will rent locally. I like to keep my money in town....

You can't fix stupid, but if we get rid of warning labels and lawyers maybe the morons will start to fix themselves!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends what I'm renting. We have a couple of large equipment rental companies in my area. The ones I choose are not necessarily based on price, but on service and equipment condition. The company I prefer mini ex's/larger skidsteers, keeps their equipment is condition to be sold at any time. When I did have a problem with them on one occasion, they came out right away ad swapped the machine for another one to lower our down time. We were down a machine for about 3 hrs all together, on a 2 week rental. They knocked 15% off the rental bill for those 3 hours, even though we still put over 80 hrs on the machines. Thats good service.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Sponsor

This forum is going to be great

Last edited by CPEC_Andy; 04-18-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: wrong placement
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
Depends what I'm renting. We have a couple of large equipment rental companies in my area. The ones I choose are not necessarily based on price, but on service and equipment condition. The company I prefer mini ex's/larger skidsteers, keeps their equipment is condition to be sold at any time. When I did have a problem with them on one occasion, they came out right away ad swapped the machine for another one to lower our down time. We were down a machine for about 3 hrs all together, on a 2 week rental. They knocked 15% off the rental bill for those 3 hours, even though we still put over 80 hrs on the machines. Thats good service.
I like your response. We just supplemented approximately 60% of our fleet with new equipment from Altec, Kubota and Terex
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Sunbelt is a place I have rented from and the companies I worked with rented from. Some 8-10 yrs ago they seemed to not keep up on their equipment. You rented some machine, you better have the mechanic follow behind. Then they updated their fleet and service. Equipment runs smooth. Worked through the night laying pavers and they brought lights that evening for us. Regional rep plugged his number in my phone once, said to call if there was ever an issue, even through the night. Never did have to make a call. The guys at their office joked about calling him at 2am just to say Hi

Moved to NY, considering a track skid steer rental, local rentals either don't carry them or attachments for them, or were double rental price plus shipping both directions (25 miles away). Sunbelt is about 120 miles away and only charged shipping 1 way and was willing to adjust that, plus had access to tools I need for project. Down side is it better work or I'm out.

Dealers are another place to rent. Tend to be higher, not counting a day for demonstration, may only be 1 size available, and probably want proof of $1mil ins or sign on to theirs.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rent from a few places. usually I subcontract for soil preparation, though when I do it in house its Nickell Eqip. I use Ditchwitch sk350 from Jonesboro rental for about $550/week with the trenching attachment pretty frequently...I like the Boxer 526 much more than the sk350, but it cost more---I use the Boxer when I have a larger sod install job that is on fairly level ground and I use the sold laying attachment and order the mega mini rolls--about 36'' wide and 100' long.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership

Tags
cpec , equipment rental , landscape rental , the home depot