Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New website

www.septicexpert.com

Any good?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is gonna be a quickie...

Visually, it looks good and seems packed with info.

Now for the criticisms...

- The contact and quote forms lack any visual appeal (dated).

- Your resources page links all direct people away from your site. They should pop in a new window/tab. Same with all of your web design company's links.

- Your web designers built you a large site completely devoid of any SEO whatsoever, right down to making some of your most important info, your service areas, a search unusable image: http://www.septicexpert.com/wp-conte...rvice_area.png

- Continuing on the service area theme, your home page, inexplicably, has no service area, contact info, phone number. In fact, it's just as easy to contact your web design company as it is you, as you each have a contact link on it.

I'll guess you paid a decent amount, but after looking at other sites they've built, they follow similar patterns of zero to minimal SEO. Their own site says they build SEO-optimized sites. They do not, and, quite frankly, that's more important than a nice looking site. If people don't find you, they can't say your site looks good or bad.

Sorry to criticize your spent dollars, but if you have any window for them to make changes, you need to know these things.

If you need any clarifications feel free to ask here or pm me.

Tony
Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I would agree with a lot of what Tony said. First of all the site looks nice, this is a good signal to people. A quality site from an atheathics point of view signals that your a "real company" I would also add the BBB logo up higher, I almost missed it. These kinds of logos help establish trust.

A "call to action" is important. What do you want people to do, call you, email you, fill out some form? Make it easy for them. put the number in the header of every page. I might even replace or reduce the tagline" your on-site wastewater professionals" to make room for your phone number.

The only other nit picky thing is I would change the Case study 1, 2, 3 to something more descriptive. Environmental friendly case study. new home, etc.

Testimonials are good though again convey some trust, along with the pictures. Nice to have a site with pictures of the steps of the process.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. We are making a few of the changes you suggested. All good ideas. I have never built a website, and I didn't do this one, but it wasn't cheap and I want it to be all it can be. Much better than the first one though anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
The only other nit picky thing is I would change the Case study 1, 2, 3 to something more descriptive. Environmental friendly case study. new home, etc.
Excellent advice, PT, and not nit picky at all. Making things easy to find, descriptive, and "approachable", is great for the potential client and the search engines.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Along with what was already stated, here are my thoughts:

In regards to the BBB logo, they do have strict rules for use back when I last used them (ie, you were not allowed to display that logo without it linking to their site that lists your profile). These may have changed in the past 7 years though.

So I went to manually search for your listing, and could not find your company at all, let alone as an accredited businesses. If I was a customer and saw that, but then couldn't locate you were you said you are listed, well then that is going to really lower my trust in you.

The site doesn't validate, and in ways that are just a complete fail on behalf of whoever coded it (the header image, that IMG tag is completely broken, there is no closing HEAD tag). Now you may ask, well it looks fine, what is the big deal? Speed. Browsers can render pages faster when it structured the way it expects to be, instead of having to look though your whole site trying to figure out what it thinks you meant. (and there is no guarantee every browser will figure out what you meant).

As with a lot of Word press sites, the code is quite bloated. (ex why is there javascript to set the background image for the entire page?)

It definitely needs the errors cleaned up, as well as other items already mentioned for the SEO.

My personal recommendation, unless you have personal trust in the company, I would get the domain switched to be registered to YOUR company. Say you have a dispute over billing and decide to go somewhere else, well you are pretty much at the mercy of them at getting your domain back without going legal routes to prove ownership, during which time they can put up any content they want. Not saying the company you use will do that, but I have seen it happen before.

-Greg