Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Florida certification inquiries...

Hello,

It is my understanding that we need to have a certification/license in order to apply granule fertilizer here in Florida. I am currently in Pompano and would like to know where I can go to obtain this certification. In addition, I would also like to obtain my "limited" or Roundup license.

If I were to relocate to another county, would these certificates follow me, or would I have to get re-certified?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't waste your time or money getting the fertilizer cert because unless you have the full blown Commercial L&O it is no good. You can't even apply Weed & Feed with that license. Instead, Net work with a smaller CPO operation to do all your application.

Yes at present time Each county has it's own Fert laws and License. However that state also has input to those local laws & licenses.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

FloridaDave,

Although Ric is correct in that it is more profitable to sub your work out to a smaller CPO...you did also ask about obtaining your limited license. This license will help you become more profitable by subbing out the lawn to the CPO while doing the shrubs yourself. The fertilizer certification which you are talking about requires you to take the Best Mgmt Practices, often referred to as BMP.
Both the BMP and your Limited license are able to be tested for and provided at your local county extension. They will of course be able to help you in determining if any other certification must be had in counties in which you work. The state will require anyone using fertilizer to have at least the BMP by 2014 I believe so I would advice getting it if you plan on spreading fertilizer of any type any where including the beds.

UF/IFAS Broward County Extension Office
3245 College Ave., Davie, FL 33314-7719
Phone: 954-357-5270 Fax:954-357-5271

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here in Orange we have to have the BMP I'm sure landscape poet is aware of this. Yes it may be more profitable but I normally apply the first round of fert on SOD so that's why it's worth it for me. I've been doing this for a few years and I have yet to be approached by a L&O to network with. I guess I'm never on a lawn more than 7 minutes might have something to do with it, or they just don't like my hack work I guess.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.flaes.org/pdf/lndspckt.pdf
Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your assistance here. I will call UF/IFAS and look into their classes.

Dave
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you wont need that license untill 2014. It is an all day class/test, however you can take it online now. Very informitive if you are "green"
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The BMP cert. is not your license for fertilizer apps. It's a requirement for it, you'll need to submit in application to the State with a picture and a check.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Tags
certification , fertilization , florida , roundup