Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Route's full. Need to expand.

If there was ever a good dilemma, this would probably be it. My route is at maximum capacity, and the calls keep coming in for more estimates. Regular maintenance and cleanup jobs alike. I think we're getting at least 3 or 4 calls for estimates everyday, and we're booked solid for the next 2 and a half months right now for cleanup type jobs. Something needs to be done to expand because, as it stands, we're having to turn down jobs left and right due to no room in the schedule.

What would/should be the next step in expanding in order to fit in more jobs? The route I'm running has already been consolidated and streamlined, so drive time is as minimal as it's going to get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many people on the truck?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run route by myself Monday through Thursday, and we operate as a team of two on Fridays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

BTW: The person with me on Fridays is my supervisor who runs a pest control route Monday through Thursday. He's mainly with me on Fridays to help with the bigger jobs as well as a couple customers who demand his presence on the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

How about raising the prices of the cleanups to slow it down?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybow View Post
How about raising the prices of the cleanups to slow it down?
This is flawed thinking. All it means is you will not get the account and have wasted your time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
This is flawed thinking. All it means is you will not get the account and have wasted your time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't see it as flawed thinking at all.

I use this method all time. if I really don't want a job or can't fit it in, which I don't know until I see. I price it EXTREMELY high to discourage the person from hiring me.

if hired all that extra money makes it worth it. but I have yet to be hired when I price things EXTREMELY high. it has so far worked in my favor. that way I don't get a wrap for being to busy or turning away work.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I don't see it as flawed thinking at all.

I use this method all time. if I really don't want a job or can't fit it in, which I don't know until I see. I price it EXTREMELY high to discourage the person from hiring me.

if hired all that extra money makes it worth it. but I have yet to be hired when I price things EXTREMELY high. it has so far worked in my favor. that way I don't get a wrap for being to busy or turning away work.
His route is FULL. He doesnt have any more time to take on more. So why watse time giving estimates on jobs you know you can't do. Get overwhelmed and you start cutting corners and losing accounts from decline in service. See how fast the calls stop when you get the rap of being the most expensive guy in town.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-24-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

- upgrade equipment to 36 inch walkbehind hydro...30 percent more work ---work on the weekend and start earlier-
-group yards together by proximity on same day...stop talking on phone and answer messages when driving-
-tell people you will bill them at end of month so you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes talking to each customer after every yard-
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Consistency is good...you would not want people saying that you are taking advantage of them (which would not be the case, but people look at it this way all the time)
...however, if you have way too much work, raise prices-
cleanups are good work, but unless they are tied to regular lawn maintenace, why cut them a deal?--
I'd raise the price and then give a discount if they sign up for regular yearly maintenace-

what you want, is regular work thjat you can count on each week-throughout the year, each year and so on--
this allows you to plan for equipment and employees needed-

some guys can always do 'one off' type work, but I'd argue that their schdules are much more difficult and growing the company is not going to be easy unless you can plan-