Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum PSI for a homeowner

I am looking for something a littler better than your standard electric washer. Just to use around my house, my family and to use to wash off my lawn equipment as well.

Whats the minimum I can get away with and still be useful? Anyone have a brand or model in particular that works well for doing the small stuff

Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GPM is more important than PSI.
Even an electric can be useful, it's just going to take exponentially longer to do the same job.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Makes sense, whats a bare minimum GPM that I need to be effective around the house. This is very light driveway cleaning, equipment and patio furniture ect ect. 2-3x a year tops
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a 1700 psi 1.4 GPM Greenworks electric one from Lowes. It's worked fine to pressure wash my driveway, sidewalks, and the house. I also use it to pressure wash my mower deck every few weeks when it cakes up.

We'll see how it holds up long term, but as for around the house general cleaning, it's worked fine so far.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else wanna chime in? How are the Troy built ones? I can get a brand new one around 200 bucks 2700 psi, not sure the gpm
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

If you can afford more than $200 go for something a little better, just for the sake of longevity more than anything. I believe Troy-Bilt used to be high quality (tillers), now most of their stuff appears to be rebadged middle-of-the-road equipment at best.

You usually get what you pay for, but how you take care of it is quite important as well. Years ago I bought a Karcher PW from Lowe's. Was 2200psi/2.2 gpm and maybe $350. I used it for 7-8 years then gave it to a family member after I bought a bigger machine to tackle much bigger property. That Karcher is still going strong. So much for axial cam pumps being junk. That depends on the materials and build quality as some of those pumps can last 1,000 hours or more and then can be rebuilt when needed.

I agree GPM is more important than PSI as it will allow you to clean faster. Most don't realize super high pressure isn't needed for most cleaning jobs around a home. The detergents, degreasers, etc. do most of the work.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't give any advice, don't even pay attention to the little machines.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Washing Cleve View Post
Can't give any advice, don't even pay attention to the little machines.
Why bother posting if you have nothing to add?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

For a homeowner use you should shoot for something in the 2.5 to3 gpm range. This will help you clean a little faster and better. Anything under that is a waste of money IMO. 90% of my customers have a pressure washer in their garage and use it mainly for cleaning there 4 wheelers, cars, and a little extererior maintenance on the home between my visits once every year or two.

Just make sure you start the machine once a month or so and run it for a little bit (with water hooked up of course) whether you are cleaning something or not.

Pressure Washers that sit cause problems. Calcium in water can cause unloader and pump problems if they sit to long.

Hope this helps

Doug Rucker 281.883.8470
Clean and Green Solutions

I own an Awesome Pressure Washing Company and Fantastic Roof Cleaning Service Company located in Houston Texas

http://houston.pressurewashing.net/
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rucker View Post
For a homeowner use you should shoot for something in the 2.5 to3 gpm range. This will help you clean a little faster and better. Anything under that is a waste of money IMO. 90% of my customers have a pressure washer in their garage and use it mainly for cleaning there 4 wheelers, cars, and a little extererior maintenance on the home between my visits once every year or two.

Just make sure you start the machine once a month or so and run it for a little bit (with water hooked up of course) whether you are cleaning something or not.

Pressure Washers that sit cause problems. Calcium in water can cause unloader and pump problems if they sit to long.

Hope this helps
Couldn't have said it better myself!