Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tobacco while on the job

Last week I was at a gas station in line to pay for fuel and the guy in front of me was also a lawn care business owner.

He was grabbing a few pouches of chewing tobacco and told the cashier he loves doing lawn care because its the one job he can enjoy a chew without getting fired or anything.

I know a lot of company's strictly prohibit tobacco use while on the job so this struck me as odd. He was definitely a bigger company from the looks of his truck and all and he had a crew of guys waiting with the truck outside.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I could not get through the day without Copenhagen. With that being said I take very small dips where it can not be noticed I even have a chew in. I tried to kick the habit over the winter and failed. I will try again to quit after leaf clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I could not get through the day without Copenhagen. With that being said I take very small dips where it can not be noticed I even have a chew in. I tried to kick the habit over the winter and failed. I will try again to quit after leaf clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Swedish snus is your ticket. They process it differently and it does not have the cancer causing agents in it that american tobacco has. Sweden has a very high tobacco use rate (mostly snus) compared to other parts of the world, yet they have the lowest cancer rate. Actually I think I read that none of the cancer that pops up there has been related to the use of tobacco at all. No mouth or throat cancer or cancer related to the use of snus. Now american snus on the other hand is just as bad as chew.

http://www.buysnus.com/brands/generalsnus.aspx
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a hard time understanding why a lawn care provider would want to prohibit chewing tobacco use, especially smokeless tobacco, while on the job. Who cares if someone spits on their lawn? I guess those customers will have a coronary if a bird poops on their shrubs, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I dipped Skoal every day for 27 years. The only time I didn't have a dip in my mouth was if I was eating or sleeping; well there is one other thing but we won't go there. It didn't matter where I was or what the circumstances were, I had a dip. Then about 2 years ago, I got a little scare and decided to quit. I flushed what I had and haven't had a dip since. I didn't use any replacements, nicotine gum or anything else like that. I just quit, cold turkey.

But I'm not going to lie to you, quitting isn't easy. I could take a dip right now and go right back like I was. The aching lip will go away and the cravings will subside but they'll never leave completely. I still think about it almost every day but the struggle is over and I won the war after probably a month.

The one thing I will tell you is that you will not quit until YOU want to quit. No amount of nagging from family will do it. You have to decide that's what YOU want and stick to it. My scare was over 3 or 4 days after I laid it down, but I stuck to my guns and quit anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you smoked while working on my property, it would be your last cut.

If you spit tobacco while working on my property, it would be your last cut.

If I didn't see you spit, I'd never know.

Quote:
... He was definitely a bigger company from the looks of his truck and all and he had a crew of guys waiting with the truck outside.
Being "big" does not make one a professional.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
If you smoked while working on my property, it would be your last cut.

If you spit tobacco while working on my property, it would be your last cut.

If I didn't see you spit, I'd never know.

Being "big" does not make one a professional.
Id never work for you in first place , I dip while im mowing and guy can smoke in trucks between jobs
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat900 View Post
Id never work for you in first place , I dip while im mowing and guy can smoke in trucks between jobs
Being your own boss is cool like that.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose that could be what he does unless his clients aren't home and they don't notice any spit on the lawn haha.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Snus is a superior product than American snuff.

General is what I use, only prob is I gotta either drive 30 minutes or order online to get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

No tobacco use while on my crew, you will get left at the job if I see it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread