Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SuperZ VX4 or Gravely 460?

I have a 2011 Hustler SZ VX4 60" and I am thinking on selling and purchasing a Gravely 460. What do you guys think good or bad move? I have always had Hustlers but these new Gravely 400's seem nice.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely hit the ball out of the park with the 400 series. It really is a game changer for the major manufacturers. If you demo the 460 you will want one!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been running Hustler Super Zs last 12 years. I sold a 60" standard deck last fall and still have a 66" XR7 deck running. Just picked up my 460 today. Will be a couple of days till I get all the accessories and such on and get it out to mow. I'll be happy to help with any questions between the two once I get some real seat time on the 460. For starters I already know the 460 31 Kawasaki is more powerful than either my 60" Honda 24 hp or my 66" 28 efi Kohler, rides better, better deck lift adjustment, better ride, pto clutch and belts are protected, bigger tanks than new SZ, deck flex linkage instead of chain, real key, perforated floor plates instead of no slip stickers, cheaper. Verdicts still out about no grease fittings, may be a little louder even with the larger Gravely muffler, two deck belts.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks mtmower, please keep me updated. I would like to know how it acts on ditch banks and steep hills. My SZ holds steep ditch banks great.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver29 View Post
Thanks mtmower, please keep me updated. I would like to know how it acts on ditch banks and steep hills. My SZ holds steep ditch banks great.
Sure will. Keep in mind I have my SZ tires worn down 1000 plus hours. I run them as long as I can worn so it doesn't tear turf quite as easy. The 460 will of course have new sneakers which will be 4 or 5 times more aggressive. The SZ use (or at least did) US made Carlisle tires. Gravely is using Taiwan made Kenda brand which IMO are as good or better with more sipping. The rear tires a just a smig smaller than the SZs. They're running a 24x11.5x12 instead of a 24x12x12. I'm running 12 PSI in the fronts and rears. Seems like all these ZTRs are coming with no-flats on the front which I'm not a fan of. They pick up grass clippings like a magnet and love to transfer them to hard surfaces. They also ride and handle worse IMO. I purchased the optional ribbed pneumatic front wheels (also Kenda).
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Beav why are you considering the switch? I haven't had any time on a VX4 myself to compare.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Been running Hustler Super Zs last 12 years. I sold a 60" standard deck last fall and still have a 66" XR7 deck running. Just picked up my 460 today. Will be a couple of days till I get all the accessories and such on and get it out to mow. I'll be happy to help with any questions between the two once I get some real seat time on the 460. For starters I already know the 460 31 Kawasaki is more powerful than either my 60" Honda 24 hp or my 66" 28 efi Kohler, rides better, better deck lift adjustment, better ride, pto clutch and belts are protected, bigger tanks than new SZ, deck flex linkage instead of chain, real key, perforated floor plates instead of no slip stickers, cheaper. Verdicts still out about no grease fittings, may be a little louder even with the larger Gravely muffler, two deck belts.
Both of your Hustler Super Z's are way underpowered.I have a 27 60 and a 30 HP 72 Super and have run other Supers with 31 Kawies and there is no comparo in power.

The 31 makes you realize that the Hustler motors they were offering to run the Super Z drive were to small because the 31 Kaw would operate the Hydros so much better as in do a wheelie with no problem when you engage the sticks. The torgue is so much better with the Kaw!

So make sure you understand this for your review.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Both of your Hustler Super Z's are way underpowered.I have a 27 60 and a 30 HP 72 Super and have run other Supers with 31 Kawies and there is no comparo in power.

The 31 makes you realize that the Hustler motors they were offering to run the Super Z drive were to small because the 31 Kaw would operate the Hydros so much better as in do a wheelie with no problem when you engage the sticks. The torgue is so much better with the Kaw!

So make sure you understand this for your review.
No question the Kohler 28 efi is weak. It's ok on normal grass but add a bagger and or thatch rack and point it toward a hill and it's cross eyed. But the 24 Honda I feel is underrated. It did it all fine. Even bagger and thatch rake with hills. I wouldn't have wanted anything less powerful. It kicked the Kohlers butt, but it also liked to eat coils.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well mowed my first property with it today but only ran it at 3/4, varied, throttle for brake in. Haven't opened her up all the way yet for any period of time. Governor is real quick at responding.

It wasn't the smoothest property but nothing uncommon. The 460 reminds me more of my old Exmarks or early Hustler with a shorter wheel base than my XR7. The frame is stiff and with tires at 12 psi rear and my optional pneumatics at 15 psi front it is still a stiff ride, of course my seat and so on is eating it all up quite well but front casters come of the ground faster on uneven ground and it really follows the ground contour. Front wheels are taller than the SZ. Feels quite compact after running my 66" for so long. It's strange to be able to have your back actually leaning against the seat cushion, nicely supported and not smacking you or giving you whiplash. Left a nice looking yard. It didn't seem to tear the turf as easily as my Hustlers when turning at the end of a run. Seemed to effect the turf around tree rings and such about the same as the Hustlers.

The seat height is a little higher by about two to three inches compared to the SZ depending on what you have the air seat psi set to. Frame height is almost dead on. Engine sits about 3" lower in the frame of the SZ but the 460 is an isolated engine cradle. Rear approach angle is huge compared to the SZ and it's little anti-scalp wheelie wheels on back. I can back the 460 on my trailer. Never could back a SZ on my trailer. This may come in especially handy, for the few weeks of the year I bag, for dumping clippings in my trailer.

Had some minor issues with accessories. I think part of it is just not having their print updated yet.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had my 452 for about a month and It still amazes me everytime I mow with it! It does great on hills and ditches. Here is a link to a detailed review I did on the 400 series. There is tons of info and pictures...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000