Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

should i try and Modify my Ultracut deck??

Hello, Im new here but have seen alot of great information searching the web here.
I just purchased a 2003 Exmark lazer Z with a 60" Ultracut deck. The mower is a fixer upper. I have it torn apart right now. im going to paint it this weekend.
I was looking at lots of mowers prior to buying this one. But i am in the process of building a house so i chose to try and keep the budget down.
I was wondering what you guys might think About Modifying the deck. I was thinking of trying to slope the front of it and change the front baffle to resemble more like a " scag Velocity " or Ferris icd " deck.
im pretty good at fabrication. and was wondering if you guys thought the mod. might be worth it or not.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I did a rounded edge deck once and it didn't yield better results IMHO. Giving 3-3 1/2 inches above the blades and 1/2"-5/8" all the way around is my norm when building decks giving the grass plenty of room to be thrown around and also find its way out when mulching
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark cut quality is at the top so I would not touch it if it was me. They do tend to clump more than a Scag or Ferris in damp wet grass but being a homeowner you will probably not cut in those condition a lot. That ultracut deck was the best Exmark deck made IMO. I ran that deck for years and loved them. The only thing I really did not care for was the sealed bearings on the spindles. You will have a great mower with it as is. Post some before and after pics so we can see the beauty.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for The reply guys. i have read alot of good things about this mower. just knew it was kinda dated and wanted to see if it might be worth tryin. Ill see what others say before i get the deck back from sandblasting. but i will probably try it like this first and see how happy i am with it.
I sure will post pics. probably sometime next week. Its all in pieces right now. ill post before and after.
Thanks Again 4 ur comments !!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The most important thing with any mower is making sure the deck is leveled and pitched correctly. It makes a huge difference in cut quality if the pitch is just a little off. I think we always pitched ours 3/8 lower in the rear if I remember correctly.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We pitch the deck 1/4" lower in the front here.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I meant to the front not back. The flatter the deck better the strip I am told.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
That's what I meant to the front not back. The flatter the deck better the stripe I am told.
Posted via Mobile Device
You were told wrong. The deck when perfectly flat will leave hardly any stripes. It should be pitched some to achieve good stripes.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have an older ultracut deck and they are absolutely famous for the cut quality and stripping. I wouldn't dare touch it. They do clump some in the wet but other than that it is am awesome deck.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
You have an older ultracut deck and they are absolutely famous for the cut quality and stripping. I wouldn't dare touch it. They do clump some in the wet but other than that it is am awesome deck.
My thought exactly!