Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

LED Quote

Bid 2nd phase lighting job using all LED 35 fixture job using a mere 10% mark up and normal Install price and home owner says OUCH so re figured using Halogen and he went with that quote so until LED drop in price I don't know that I can sell a 35 plus fixture job using all LED , may have to use some LED and blend in halogen here an there.

Anyone else having the same problem , just curious.

Richie
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even mention halogen to customers anymore. Let's face it, halogen is a dinosaur compared to LED.
Try to convince the customer to break the project into zones as dictated by their budget using LED products. The Roman empire wasn't built overnight, their lighting project doesn't have to be built overnight either.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Recently I am starting to realize that my LED bids are really only coming up about 12% higher than halogen. It's almost become such a no brainer that I basically refuse to install halogen unless specifically demanded by the customer.

The labor savings, wire savings, trans savings, etc. etc that LED offers really offsets the fixture expense a great deal if you really look closely at the numbers. I will agree that pathlight LEDS are still fairly high, but I am getting awfully good prices on bullets, wall lights and non directional spread lights with really good warranties.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Sometimes your the Bug and sometimes your the Windshield.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The toughest hurdle for me is not the price but what happened today. the customer asked me how long they will last. I can with reasonable certainty tell them how long the trans, wire, connections, and how long halogen bulbs and fixtures last. But I have been testing LED's for close to 7 years now, and the only answer I have is I don't know. I do know the ones out the last 30 months have been very good, before that, not so much.

and then you ask folks to pay more for LED, and then you tell them you still have to come back and clean lenses, aim, trim foliage, etc, and even when you take the time to show the electrical and rebulb savings...they still mostly choose halogen.

the time will come soon, probably within 3 years, when an LED system will cost less than a halogen system to install. you can already do it with less expensive aluminum 10w hong kong ebay fixtures out there, but again, that longevity thing.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been 100% LED for 5 years plus. It doesn't make sense to me to install halogen systems anymore, when you can get a 15 year warranty, 75% less energy and no lamps to change using Kichler. There are other manufacturers as well with good LED products.

A lot of the success in closing jobs with LED is a multifaceted marketing plan that gets you in front the right potential clients. If you are getting too many no's, you might want to look at how and where your leads are generated. It took me a while to get it down and I worked many hours to refine my plan. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

tommy, you may be right, but I have pretty much installed 90% of my lighting jobs on properties here from $2 million to $20 million in the past 3 years, and I am not seeing the demand for LED. There are no higher value properties around here. probably 5% of them ask about it. a higher percentage actually seem to ask me NOT to use LED. even if I can overcome folks objections about thier perception of LED color and the solar thing, when asked I am honest about our LED experience-

and I will confess my marketing and my attitude does not help much, as we had some substantial ( greater than 75% ) failures on all LED fixtures and retrofit bulbs that are older than 3 years. all have failed from 4 years back. we are running about 20% failure rate on 24-36 months, ( but most are much higher on less expensive retrofit mr-16's), and 8% on 12-24 months. less than 2 % on 12 months or less. all these 3, 2, 1 year numbers are far better than they have been in the past.

but my 5 year track record does not give me the freedom to tell folks to invest in LED. I would not reccomend a transformer or fixture to folks that had a 100% failure rate beyond 4 years. I do tell them the ones today are far better than just 3 years ago and most have L70 ratings, ip ratings and etc, but most folks honestly want to be able to put a bulb in a fixture in 5, even 10-15 years rather than replace the fixture.

I had a gentleman say this to me the other day- you know, if we were just talking about 1, 3, heck even 10 fixtures inside my house, and I knew they were needing to be outright replaced in 8, 12 years, I would never agree to that. why would I even remotely agree to replace 38 fixtures in 12-15 years. "ridiculous". I can't really argue the point.

The "field replaceable" modules do give me some hope. but again, they are very new...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I had a gentleman say this to me the other day- you know, if we were just talking about 1, 3, heck even 10 fixtures inside my house, and I knew they were needing to be outright replaced in 8, 12 years, I would never agree to that. why would I even remotely agree to replace 38 fixtures in 12-15 years. "ridiculous". I can't really argue the point.

The "field replaceable" modules do give me some hope. but again, they are very new...
Most people will renovate their landscape in 10-15 years anyway, it doesn't make sense to me what he said. In my area, after installing 10,000 LEDs or so, I have never had that conversation. Most like the fact no bulbs to replace. CA has it power problems and electricity is expensive, I do have that in my favor.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
we had some substantial ( greater than 75% ) failures on all LED fixtures and retrofit bulbs that are older than 3 years. all have failed from 4 years back. we are running about 20% failure rate on 24-36 months, ( but most are much higher on less expensive retrofit mr-16's), and 8% on 12-24 months. less than 2 % on 12 months or less. all these 3, 2, 1 year numbers are far better than they have been in the past.

but my 5 year track record does not give me the freedom to tell folks to invest in LED.
Ok. First of all, I can almost guarantee you I know the reasons why you're seeing failures. First, if you were installing LED retrofits 4-5 years ago, that stuff was junk compared to what they have today. We were at the very beginning of the outdoor LED venture back then. But second - and this is the biggest reason - I really believe the biggest problem with most outdoor LED light fixtures is that they don't take care of the heat issue. Two things. First, in every LED "light" there are really two main components. The LED array and the driver. And almost always it's the driver or soldier joints that fail, not the actual LED array itself. Problem is, with most manufacturers of aftermarket LED lamps, these are all put into the same "light bulb". So you have the driver sitting right in the same tiny little area as the LED array. They're putting the driver in a super confined area where it doesn't have room to dissipate the heat sufficiently. So over time it gets too hot and fails. To make matters worse, this method is also more prone to water or moisture intrusion as well.

That's why I love the way Kichler builds their fixtures. Particularly their spot lights. The driver is in a totally separate chamber from the LED array. It's completely encased in resin with a really well thought out heat sink in it. So not only is it totally separated from the LED array by a few inches, it's also completely sealed and has a huge heat sink that keeps the temperature around the driver cooler. It also makes it pretty much impossible for moisture or water to ever get into the area where the driver and solder joints are.

I've heard Vista say that their spot light is XX% cooler to the touch than the Kichler spots - as if that's a good thing. If I was them, I'd never utter those words as long as I loved again. That means that your driver isn't dissipating as much heat! It's actually a good thing to be putting off a little heat. That means heat is being dissipated from the driver area, which means your LED fixture is actually going to last a long time!

I bet you that almost none of the "failures" you're seeing are with Kichler LED fixtures. And if you said they were, I'd seriously challenge you on that. I have only been installing Kichler for a year now as my lead-off product. But I do have one job that we did all Kichler design Pro LED a little over 3 years ago and we haven't had any failures at all. I know guys in other states who've been installing them a lot longer than I have with little to no failures. And I know what the return % is at Kichler as well.

I think what you're seeing is a result of not very well thought out LED arrangements. And this is the problem I have with most of the other low voltage lighting companies on the market. They aren't separating the LED array from the driver and they aren't sufficiently protecting the driver from heat, water, moisture, etc.. So yah, you're going to get failure much sooner in that case.

Quote:
Ok. So we're clear - you're speaking about the need to replace the entire fixture, as is the case with Kichler.

First of all, you have to understand that there has been a fundamental change in the way light "bulbs" or lamps are made. It used to be that there was just a filament that lit up and that's what made light. You were just depending on one component - the filament. Now, there are two components. The driver and the LED array. And what research has shown is that when they are placed too close together and too much heat is allowed to build up without having a method to dissipate the heat, then we end up with failure pretty quickly. Just as you've seen - in 3-4 years. So the solution Kichler has found is an ingenious one; put the driver a ways away in it's own isolated chamber where it is away from the LED array and build a heat sink that sufficiently takes heat down to below the threshold where they've seen problems. You eliminate the heat issue, you eliminate the issue of them going out so soon. Which is why Kichler can safely warranty their "lights" for 15 years.

But because this is a fully integrated fixture like that - and because the driver is fully encased in resin material - you cannot just take out a "bulb" and replace it. We're not talking bulbs anymore. It's a whole system. Even if you could replace the LED array, how do you know that's the component that went out? Did you know that the LED array is usually not what goes out? It's typically the driver or solder joints, due to too much ongoing heat. So you go replace the LED array and then the light fixture still doesn't work. What then? Now, you've wasted an hour or more driving over there and the time trying to replace what you thought was broken. But no, it's something inside. So why not just replace the whole damm fixture. What's your labor rate? By the time you wasted 2 hours trying to figure out if it's the LED array or the driver or a solder joint that went bad - even if you could replace all those things - you will have wasted more money in labor than the fixture is worth!

On one hand you're saying most LEDs don't last, and then you're bemoaning the very thing that makes the Kichler lamps last so much longer than all the others! (The fact that they use integrated fixtures with components that are isolated and protected and can't be changed out).

Second, your analogy is a bad one. House fixtures don't need to be waterproof, rain proof, weather proof, etc. They don't have to be built so that they can handle extreme cold and extreme heat either. They're usually in a nice dry house that always stays within 10-20 degrees or so. So of course you wouldn't ever have to replace a house fixture! But that's not even a fair comparison at all! The very thing that makes a really good outdoor light fixture so awesome - the very thing that makes it able to be waterproof, rain proof, weather proof, and able to handle all sorts of changes in heat, etc. is the very reason why it has to be replaced entirely if it goes out! It's a whole system! It's not just a light bulb! If it's built well, it's a fully integrated, sealed, protected system! And that's what you want it to be!

A better analogy would be the tail lights on newer cars. Have you noticed that most newer cars are going with LED tail lights? Many have even gone with LED headlights! Guess what? Many of those are integrated fixtures as well! When you go to replace them, you're not going to be able to just go to NAPA and buy a "bulb". Mercedes, Audi, BWM, etc. are going to make you buy the entire tail light fixture! And I bet you that rich guy who asked you that question wouldn't fret about that when it happened, would he? I would have LOVED it if he had asked me that question. It would allow me to educate him a little on the topic. I bet you he would change his mind after he heard my response.

I love the fact that Kichler not only builds a product that they know will outlast everyone else - but they also put their money where their mouth is. They give you a whole new fixture if it ever goes bad within 15 years. That's freakin' awesome! I bet even Mercedes doesn't do that with their LED tail lights.

Quote:
Why should they be "field replaceable"? LED technology is good enough right now that if it's done right, it shouldn't HAVE to be replaced - not for at least 15-20 years! The term "field replaceable" to me means they are building in failure. They know it's going to fail sooner than you'd consider reasonable, so they're going to give you an easy way to replace their failure. And then charge you for it! Wow! Really? No thanks! How about just making a fixture that will last a long time without failing and doesn't need to be replaced any time soon? What a novel concept!

Let's say that these "field replaceable" units go out every 7 years - twice what you tell me you're getting now from the drop in LED retrofit lights you say you've installed over the past few years. So you install one of these field replaceable units today and in 7 years it goes out. So you go spend $55 for a replacement "module" or whatever, and then that one goes out in 7 years again. So you have to replace it a second time. Now you've been out to work on this fixture 3 times in 14 years, including the original installation. And someone has had to pay for that! Either you charged the customer a service call and parts on two additional occasions or you ate the cost for that. Either way, it's been spendy for someone. Or you could have just gone with a Kichler unit and left it there for at least 15 years without any worry. If it ever did go out, the most you'd be out is the 1 hour of time you'd need to go replace it. But the fixture would be totally free. And I bet Kichler would even find a creative way to help reimburse you for your time if that happened.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 06-04-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Why should they be "field replaceable"? LED technology is good enough right now that if it's done right, it shouldn't HAVE to be replaced - not for at least 15-20 years! The term "field replaceable" to me means they are building in failure. They know it's going to fail sooner than you'd consider reasonable, so they're going to give you an easy way to replace their failure. And then charge you for it! Wow! Really? No thanks! How about just making a fixture that will last a long time without failing and doesn't need to be replaced any time soon? What a novel concept!

Because if something does go wrong, you don't have to needlessly throw away an entire fixture. Even Kichler (and wow, it's obvious you just came from their warehouse) fixtures fail. Popping in a new element is a lot easier than scabbing in a new fixture, and you aren't needlessly adding to the incredible landfill problem this country already has. And just hope your 5 year warranty on the Kichler housing doesn't fail before the LED warranty (and again, that's what their written warranty states, it doesn't matter what any rep "tells" you they will do). And despite what the fine folks at Kichler obviously preached during your trip, there are more than two main components that make up LED "light". Do some independent research not promoted by a manufacturer. Other than that, it's sound like things are going well for you, so continued success.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes