Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Repair and Maintenance of Hunter System

I have finally, after 4 years of begging, gotten a commercial property owner to allow me to service the irrigation system. I have maintained everything on the property except the irrigation for 6 seasons now. I have a general knowledge of irrigation systems, but I'm no expert.

Here is what I know:

* I estimate there are 25 zones with 8 to 12 heads per zone
* I know for sure, at this point, there are 17 heads which needs to be replaced
* I know the controller is messed up. The system is supposed to run early morning, but it currently fires around 1PM.

Here what I need to know:

* What and how should I charge to change heads?
* What and how should I charge to manually fire the system to see if any other heads are broken and to realign any heads needing it?
* Should I set the system to water a shorter time but twice a day?

I am in Southeast Kansas (Pittsburg) where the summers get hot (100+) and I have typically lost grass in the summers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jeremy what is the going service rate in your area? Time and materials is the way I'd go. As for programming the system a lot needs to be determined. What is your rate of application?, soil type?, plant type?, Will you adjust the system several times over the summer and fall as needed? I've barely scratched the surface on what you need to consider in programming the controller and maintaining the system.

KSU extension is your best bet for ET information and such.
http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/wdl/
Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

No one is sure what the going rate around here is. Most folks don't wanna spend money on irrigation so they have a system installed at construction and then get into the situation we are in right now.

While I'm new with this system and don't normally work with irrigation systems, I'm not as new to it as many people have assumed in this thread. I simply have never worked with them under the umbrella of my own company, or with a Hunter system.

He had a "reputable company" that was "Maintaining" the system... that's why folks get their cars washed in the parking lot every time the system fires and so many heads have gone unattended to.

Was just hoping to get some ideas about what you guys charge in your particular area so I can adjust accordingly.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You should understand what I charge in Detroit, vs an irrigator in Texas, vs an irrigator on Long Island, Cape Cod, California, Nevada, Minnesota, etc... has no bearing on the going rates in your region.

You will get better and more accurate information anonymously calling irrigators in your neck of the woods for pricing. I'm sure those will fluctuate based on who you talk to, and for a variety or reasons.

For that matter, ask your client for the rates he has been paying. Tell him you would like to know this so you can match them...or reduce them by a percentage.

You'll need to spend a little more leg work on this than making a post on a thread.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripit good View Post
You should understand what I charge in Detroit, vs an irrigator in Texas, vs an irrigator on Long Island, Cape Cod, California, Nevada, Minnesota, etc... has no bearing on the going rates in your region.

You will get better and more accurate information anonymously calling irrigators in your neck of the woods for pricing. I'm sure those will fluctuate based on who you talk to, and for a variety or reasons.

For that matter, ask your client for the rates he has been paying. Tell him you would like to know this so you can match them...or reduce them by a percentage.

You'll need to spend a little more leg work on this than making a post on a thread.

Good luck to you.
Thank you. I have already made the extra leg work effort... just trying to get some more info from here.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1592 View Post
I simply have never worked with them under the umbrella of my own company, or with a Hunter system.
Hunter does not make systems. They are a major manufacturer of irrigation components. The install company "makes" the irrigation system.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Here what I need to know:

* What and how should I charge to change heads?
This number should be based on your overhead, your labor costs and your necessary profit margin

Quote:
* What and how should I charge to manually fire the system to see if any other heads are broken and to realign any heads needing it?
See the answer above... but I will add that it is typically part of our commercial maintenance contracts that weekly irrigation inspection is included in the contract price. Guys who just do irrigation charge to check the system

Quote:
* Should I set the system to water a shorter time but twice a day?
Ideally, yes. However not knowing any of the real specifics of the site or the system its hard to say.

What you need to do first and foremost is identify the make and model of the controller and get your hands on an owners manual and read it front to back.... twice if necessary. You also need to identify all of the station locations and make yourself a controller chart so that you know where every station is. I don't want to sound like a jerk but it sounds like you may be in a little over your head on this one. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in and give you some guidance as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
This number should be based on your overhead, your labor costs and your necessary profit margin

See the answer above... but I will add that it is typically part of our commercial maintenance contracts that weekly irrigation inspection is included in the contract price. Guys who just do irrigation charge to check the system

Ideally, yes. However not knowing any of the real specifics of the site or the system its hard to say.

What you need to do first and foremost is identify the make and model of the controller and get your hands on an owners manual and read it front to back.... twice if necessary. You also need to identify all of the station locations and make yourself a controller chart so that you know where every station is. I don't want to sound like a jerk but it sounds like you may be in a little over your head on this one. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in and give you some guidance as well.
There is quite a bit more to know, and everybody has to start somewhere. I'd be careful about charging more than your present knowledge allows. Most people do not want to pay you to learn on their dime. I for one never mind paying for a job done well. I do resent paying for a crap job. I believe most of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and at the same time protective of the Irrigation industry. If you have the desire to learn the trade and do it correctly there are plenty of resources to guide you along.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
There is quite a bit more to know, and everybody has to start somewhere. I'd be careful about charging more than your present knowledge allows. Most people do not want to pay you to learn on their dime. I for one never mind paying for a job done well. I do resent paying for a crap job. I believe most of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and at the same time protective of the Irrigation industry. If you have the desire to learn the trade and do it correctly there are plenty of resources to guide you along.
well... yeah.... I didn't have the time to sit here and write out a step by step guide for the guy.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
well... yeah.... I didn't have the time to sit here and write out a step by step guide for the guy.
Nor should you. I felt as though the responses to his post were mostly kind. He doesn't need to get in over his head, or represent himself as something he's not to the customer.

Tags
hunter , irrigation , maintenance , sprinklers