Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Links - the most important SEO strategy

Hey everyone,

I work for Native Lawns, a lawn and landscape company in Colorado. I've recently designed my website myself and in the process I have done a great deal of research on SEO (Search Engine Optimization - the process of making a website so it gets higher rankings in search engines such as google and bing)

If you know anything about SEO, you'll know that one of the most important strategies is to get links coming into your website that come from websites with a topic related to your website. This is one of the most difficult processes, simply because it is tough to find other people willing to cooperate in this process of linking to one another's website.

I've tried very hard for a very long time to find people willing to link to my site, and vice versa. Anyone with half a brain can realize that if you cooperate with me, we can both gain a huge advantage over our competitors.

PLEASE contact me if you are interested in exchanging links to one another's websites. I swear, there is absolutely nothing to lose. This cannot hurt your website or company in any way. Your cooperation is greatly beneficial to BOTH OF US

info@nativecolorado.com
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeCO View Post
I've tried very hard for a very long time to find people willing to link to my site, and vice versa. Anyone with half a brain can realize that if you cooperate with me, we can both gain a huge advantage over our competitors.

PLEASE contact me if you are interested in exchanging links to one another's websites. I swear, there is absolutely nothing to lose. This cannot hurt your website or company in any way. Your cooperation is greatly beneficial to BOTH OF US
Since you put it this way, I'll be blunt and tell you that you really need to find better sources for inbound/outbound linking strategies for SEO, because you are way off base in what you've presented here, and put into practice on your site. As you are currently implementing it, there absolutely is something to lose with your cross-linking strategy. In fact, you're doing it exactly the wrong way. You are falling in to an old trap of quantity over quality.

Couple of other things to worry about before trying to pool links is that your site has almost absolutely no SEO in and of itself, and it needs a lot of work under the proverbial hood:

- The load time is not good (2.8sec to load, 1mb page weight, and a 64% total page grade quality for a D).
- The pictures are too large (you've forced them down to fit with code, rather than to properly optimize them).
- The code for your home page has, to me, a record 376 validation errors.

Why do I bring these up? Because they all play in to the various search algorithmz and linking to you, especially with "just a link" as you are currently doing, would potentially be more detrimental to my well-ranking "wherever USA" lawn company.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

This should get you up to speed with ranking in local search. At least it is a good starting point.

http://www.davidmihm.com/local-searc...-factors.shtml
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Troll View Post
This should get you up to speed with ranking in local search. At least it is a good starting point.
http://www.davidmihm.com/local-searc...-factors.shtml
Great link (it's been open as a tab on my browser for at least a week now. lol)

The #1, Physical Address, can't be overstated enough. Exact match across all web mediums is crucial to legitimacy cross-matching.

I'll be curious to see how the rankings change when they revise and take Google +Local into consideration.

-
Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I look forward to going over the survey every year. I'm glad you find it useful.

I usually can't tolerate the white hat, towing the Google company policy line, buy our seo services, Google butt kissing talk most seo companies put out.

Many folks with all white hat only seo practices to their sites got disappeared from the search results or put back many pages during the last updates and filters Google has initiated.

I wouldn't think any changes that occur from +Local will be to much to handle.

There are suggestions that Google organic search results will go to a paid format like the paid for the blue local maps letter listings.

I am of the opinion Google search results are less relevant now to the searches I am doing than when I use Bing.
Another way, I am getting better search results using Bing than using Google when I search. Go figure. Try it yourself sometime.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Incoming links is good yes but not as good as you seem to think they are. Truth is search engines read your site just like we read a book. they do not see all the flashy eye appealing design that many of us spend most of our time making our sites look good. Only people who see that is us and our potential customers. First thing you need to do is open a book. What do you see? TITLE! the way the search engine read your site, you apparently do not have a title. (H1 Tag) Make your TITLE, H1 tag match exactly. then whenever possible use as many of the words in your title within the site text, as often as you can. That would be step one. don't worry about links, so much. If you do SEO properly, people will be more willing to link to your site as it benefits them too.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Dave. I tend to agree with you that Links are far less important than the OP believes. I never pay much attention to links and still my sites end up with a high ranking. Other steps that you mention such as a good title and description and the use of keywords in the text often and early do far more.

A few years ago I decided to take two of my most important websites and have a professional optimize them. They made a couple of minor changes and the main thing they did was to add a links page and links to my site. My traffic dropped off by about 25%.

One of the last sites I did which was a couple of years ago has one link to it anywhere and I did nothing to let the search engines know it existed and within a week of having it live it came up in three of the top 6 spots for anyone searching for what I do in any of 50 cities around me. Actually it comes up in the # 2, 4 and 5 spots with # 3 being where my link is and number one being the yellow pages. It convinced me that content and meta tags are the most important thing in web site optimization not links.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

One of the reasons I didn't offer any explanation of my comments was to see if the OP was actually even interested in learning what the correct approach is. Given that was his only post here in a year, well...I'll leave it at that.

Slapping disparate links/logos on a site, especially in a footer, ala the NASCAR method of advertising, hasn't worked for SEO in many years (8 to 10?).

Dave, everyone should follow your advice on the TITLE tag. It's amazing how many people put zero effort into it, but if you ask anyone in the field of SEO what the most neglected, albeit high-reward element there is, we'll tell you it's the page title.

I will disagree on the inbound links, as they are the most important off-page SEO device there is. This isn't debatable, but it's all in the context. As the OP is implementing it, there is no worse way. Relevant sites, such as this, or say a link from your article you wrote for LawnCareDaily.com will have huge impact on your move up the SERPs. When it comes to this, there is still a misuse of the linking itself. Don't have your website name be the link. Have the link anchored to great, relevant keywords, suck as "lawn mowing" or what have you.

As for Meta Tags, meta description is important. Meta Keywords have been useless for years. Work whatever meta keywords you would use in to your actual content. They can be a guide, of sorts, but they're a wheel-spinner when actually using the effort to put them in your header. The only times I use them are to easily see what my (your) competitors are targeting so that I can make my own strategic adjustments.

As TurboGuy said, focus on good content and solid, relevant inbound links, and you're going to beat your competitor. It's not rocket science, although at times, it's close to it...lol.

-
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
One of the reasons I didn't offer any explanation of my comments was to see if the OP was actually even interested in learning what the correct approach is. Given that was his only post here in a year, well...I'll leave it at that.
-
The path of least resistance is just to ask.

Stating that any action increased/bettered a sites keyword search engine ranking is only relevant if the competition for the keyword is known isn't it.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Link are good but not if the engines struggle to determine what the site is about. That's why I recommend fixing onsite seo before you worry about links.
Closed Thread