Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any one have an issue with the sciatic nerve

A week ago I did something and my lower back had a dull pain. Like most here you don't even think about that it happens in this trade but then my right rear started to throb. Annoying but livable then came the leg and that feels like an impacted molar. Add in numbness in the foot and I have learned what Sciatica is and I wish I never knew.

I got to wait another 2 days for a doc appointment and I cannot wait advil and aleve have 0 effect. It's funny last week I was giving stats to a guy that wanted to go 1 man crews and my numbers just blew his out of the water. But what he didn't know was while I was bringing in 800-900 a day on a 2 man cutting crew the whole time I was suffering with this. It sucks getting old so what other delightful new pains wait to be discovered as I get older?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh...

You can laugh now because in terms of work we do in a week what you do in a day.
I feel no pain.
None.

I like things this way.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yup I know all about it. I pinched mine about 8 years ago lifting our lazer hp out of some mud. I picked the entire back end up and swing it around to drier ground. Took over a month to get 80% better and 2 full months to be back to normal. I had that pain down my leg into my foot. If I sat on the mower for more than 30 minutes at a time my lower back would start aching. It was rough but I worked right through it. Af far as meds go I would think that 800mg motrin (RX version) would be the best bet. Motirn is an anti inflammatory and that is normally what pinches that nerve (inflammations around the nerve).
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just had surgery last OCTOBER..... STILL on pain pills.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been dealing with sciatica for about 9 months now . It has got very painful at times , been to a couple of doctors and recently started seeing a chiropractor. Finally it is starting to feel better,
be patient with it eventually it will get better .

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Standing and walking causes me the pain its sitting and laying down that seems to ease it. Lucky for me my mowers a rider cause I put more then 20 hours a week on my lazer and that's 3 days mowing and that starts tomorrow morning. I had the worse time today I had promised id get to a trimming job today so I had to deal with this for 4 hours today on a hedge trimmer before I let the guys go on to the next job with out me. But I had read that there was different symptoms I'm hoping mines the one that doesn't require surgery. I think I got it over stretching for the foot pedal on my mower the deck cutting heights are higher this time of year and that pulls the pedal further away from me and the seat hasn't been adjustable in years.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 word, chiropractor. If it wasnt for him i wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning and go to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
1 word, chiropractor. If it wasnt for him i wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning and go to work.
See a doctor and get an MRI done. A chiropractor could make things worse if he aggravates a serious problem.

I have 3 problems all at the L5-S1 joint. Spinal stenosis, my L-5 is slipping off of S-1 and the disc between them is ruptured. I may as well just burn the money by going to a chiropractor.

I have the same symptoms. Pain in the lower back, pain in the right hip, numbness up and down my right leg and foot, and if I'm on the leg long enough, a weakness in my right leg.

The ultimate prognosis is for surgery. My doctors and I all agree though that will be a last resort. The chance of success is 50-50. I can still work now but if they do the surgery and it goes bad then I'm done working forever.

I'm getting spinal epidurals, have a nerve stimulator and a whole host of pain medications including percocet. I also have stretching exercises for when the pain gets unbearable.

Add in osteoarthritis in both knees and hips and it makes for long days.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm getting spinal epidurals, have a nerve stimulator and a whole host of pain medications including percocet. I also have stretching exercises for when the pain gets unbearable.
What brand are your Percocets? I've found different generics give different relief. I'm on them and ER Oxy.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll know more on Monday when I meet the doc again and she has had a chance to review the xrays. But the exam went well shes basically ruled out compressed or herniated discs or anything to do with the spine. Her suspect is a pulled a deep muscle I guess connecting the leg to the back. She had me doing all sorts of strength tests and flexibility tests to see what caused what. As I suspected the foot pedal on the mower to lift the deck may well be the cause of the most painful weeks of my life. So the muscle has a spasm and that in turn is hitting that nerve. For now standings hurts sittings good. Its funny how lifting a 44 gal barrel of grass up 4 feet onto the truck that can easily weigh over 100 pounds doesn't bother me but 5 mins on a weed wacker and I have to go sit down.