Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Shaft

Blades sounded like they were hitting something on the deck, disengaged the blades, put the deck up 90 degrees like walkers do, there was nothing there, spun the blades by hands a little.

I was worn out and brain dead... and reached to engage blades to see if they were still making the noise and to be able to watch them. About half way through engaging them, I realized how stupid it was to engage them in the 90 degree position, so I turned them off real quick.

Im pretty sure it made a weird noise when I did it, cant remember. But after that, I started looking around the mower, and found the shaft that goes into the deck in two. (pic attached). not snapped, just looked like the joint slid apart. Still in the 90 degree position, I took pins out that holds deck on mower, slid it out a little, and lined up the shaft and tried to slide it in.... but it wont go.

How do you get the shaft to go back together?

Was this what initially caused the blades to sound like that, or did it happen when I was being an idiot trying to turn the blades on? If it didnt cause the blades to do that, what would?

This happened halfway through the day today... had the whole day scheduled... so any help to get the mower back to the yards as soon as possible is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The PTO is balanced. It only goes on one way. Remove the half that is under the machine and look into the end of it. You will see a space that is wider that the rest of the splines. Now look at the end of the half that is on the deck. You will see a small spot weld at the end of two splines. Line that up with the wider spacing in the other half. It came from the factory with red arrow stickers to help locate the right place to slid it one.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This may help. If you take the whole shaft out by pulling back on the release collar it will help you line it up.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can go to http://www.walkermowers.com/ and download the manual for your machine. This is from Walker.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Lined them up and it finally went together.

Kind of embarassed it was that easy of a fix, but oh well, back up and running and off to work. You learn something everyday.

Thanks!