Register free!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn looks awful up close

In the past few weeks this lawn is looking awful up close and after it is cut. It has had 19-0-4 Lesco Dimension for the first round and 19-0-4 Lebanon with Confront and Dimension for the second round. In between those two rounds it had a mass outbreak of Redthread because of the weather we have had and was hit with 14 day apart Eagle Fungicide apps. It is cut at 3 1/2 inches and has been this way all season. It looks awesome from a far but when you look down at it is a whole different story. I have yet to soil test it.

From a far

Looking down

Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Added information, it is a rye/blue grass mix.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, I'm going to say summer stress.

That lawn looks awesome compared to the lawns around here.

We're about 12-20 inches short of rain this year...........

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Red thread was bad this year. That lawn looks pretty flat too. I suspect that it is mostly conditions and species, I see this a lot when rye gets put down by others, improvement would be marginal for the cost, but I would aerate more often, keep an eye on mowing heights and work on keeping soil health good. When in doubt do a soil test.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I will probe it tomorrow morning and check the Ph before I send it to the lab. I see other lawns around that had as much Redthread and are flourishing with the same weather. I am ordering a Lincoln soil moisture meter but the soil is still wet. There is a 3 foot deep trench dug next to the patio and you can see a really sweet soil profile there. The soil is moist to 2+ feet and the roots go beyond the depth of the trench.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are kidding right? Half the lawns in the country are crispy brown--they would trade instantly.

But I suspect a red thread problem, Not sure, but I think the strob fungicides are better for red thread. Heritage, Compass and so forth. Water twice per week to reduce average weekly humidity; water before 3 pm.

Potentially overseed with red thread resistant ryegrass, like "Nightsky" introduced in 2010.Dollarspot, brownpatch, gray leafspot and other diseases are possible...this variety has good overall disease resistance.
http://pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/night_sky_ts.pdf
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You are kidding right? Half the lawns in the country are crispy brown--they would trade instantly.
That's right!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Riggle, can you give me some insight on the watering for humidity reduction. I haven't heard of this method. My soil is wet so I didn't want to water to invite disease.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This disease control is more theory than proven practice...the idea is to reduce average humidity during each week. (Particularly during warm humid disease-prone nights.) This is for lawns with a history of red thread. Or brown patch or dollarspot. You want the grass to be dry before nightfall. So water twice per week only more minutes, so you get the same amount of water per week. And keep the nitrogen fertility levels up, as more rapid growth tends to outgrow the red thread. And do not use any ryegrass seed unless it claims to be red thread resistant. And overseed with the same.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Riggle, the lawn gets watered at 4am 40 minutes a zone twice a week. It has 8 zones and is over by 830am. It is dry with our temps by noon. I am more worried about applying even more nitrogen during this time of year thinking it would encourage nitrogen type disease. I am still in a learning curve. My next application will be for grub but I am going to try the nematode approach which sounds really interesting and i am pretty excited about. I was also going to include a half a pound per thousand approach of a liquid seaweed to visually test for our customers.
Posted via Mobile Device