Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch Kit Install on Ferris 36" Walk Behind

I didn't see any info on this when looking around, so I thought I'd post up the pics of the install for anyone out there looking to do the same thing.

The instructions that accompany the kit are written for the 36" Hydrocut HC36KAV13E (single hydro unit), but it also fits my 36" Comfort Control DD CCWKAV1536. (dual hydro)

For anyone looking for the part number, it is: 5600018 (36" Mulcher Kit)

Here's the kit - some baffles and a few nuts and bolts...

The instructions tell you to remove the deck to install the mulch kit. I was unsure of how to remove my deck since there are no instructions for deck removal in the owner's manual, so I just raised the front of the mower and did the install with the deck still on the mower.

Since I only have two hands, I used duct tape to hold the bolts onto the front baffle to get it in place with the bolts through the mounting holes in the front of the deck, then thread nuts on...

The bolt towards the discharge side goes into a hole that can't be seen from the outside...

That's it for the mulch baffle. Three bolts that go in three pre-drilled holes. Easy.

Now for the Blockoff Plate...

The curved end has two holes that line up with these two pre-drilled holes in the deck...

There's a pretty big gap left when you first slip it on and thread the nuts on by hand...

Don't worry - when you snug up the nuts, it lines up for a better fit.

OK, the discharge chute is in the way, and will no longer be needed, so let's get that sucker off...

Note that you want to remove the REAR nut. I took off the one on the other end first, but the long bolt was stopped by the rear tire before it could come out of the hole. I had to remove the nut on the back and pull the long bolt out through the FRONT.

Now the Discharge Baffle needs to be removed from the deck...

Two bolts and that part is easily removed...

Discharge Baffle removed...

Nuts on the front of the Blockoff Plate are now snugged up...

The end of the Blockoff Plate with the "flat" part gets positioned on the outside of the deck and a clamp is used to hold it securely while using the holes in the plate as a guide to drill through the deck...

The instructions state a 25/64" bit is needed. Later in the instructions it says to use a 21/64" bit - this is WRONG.

The instructions show the nut on the inside of the deck, but even though it would LOOK better that way, I'd rather have less surface area for grass to build up on, so I installed them the other way. This is to show the difference...

All done! May as well lube the hard to get at fittings while the deck cover is off...

Cat litter mower lift. I should patent that.

A few shots (bad lighting) of the installed baffle and blocker plate to show the "completed circles"...

Looks funny without the discharge chute on there...

It may be a while before I get to try it out. All the lawns are dead and brown right now, but I can't wait to see how it works out.

Hope you enjoyed the show and I hope this helps someone out.
I was almost ready to take it to the dealer to have it installed because the instructions are vague at best, and are written for a DIFFERENT mower. That coupled with the "need" to remove the deck had me thinking it would be easier to just pay them to do it. I'm glad I took a few more minutes to figure it out, as it was really not that difficult once I finally understood how to put it together.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The kit for my 32" is different. Instructions were wtf. No pre-drilled holes....just makes it a PITA. I brought it to a shop to do. I'm like they can't put pre-drilled holes in a $3-K machine....

Anywho, sorry for the rant. I think the kit works well. The only gripe I have is that it doesn't mulch leaves that great, and that isn't Ferris' fault. They just don't make a mulch blade for a kit for my mower. They recommend the stock blades, but that doesn't work that great for leaves. The only other option is a gator blade, but those are for plates only or side discharge.....
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
The kit for my 32" is different. Instructions were wtf. No pre-drilled holes....just makes it a PITA. I brought it to a shop to do. I'm like they can't put pre-drilled holes in a $3-K machine....

Anywho, sorry for the rant. I think the kit works well. The only gripe I have is that it doesn't mulch leaves that great, and that isn't Ferris' fault. They just don't make a mulch blade for a kit for my mower. They recommend the stock blades, but that doesn't work that great for leaves. The only other option is a gator blade, but those are for plates only or side discharge.....

Heh. Yeah, even if I DID have the model the instructions were written for, I was still scratching my head trying to understand them.
I'm still trying to figure out why they put five mounting holes in the front of the deck, yet make you drill your own two holes on the side.

As for blades, when I picked up the kit I opened it and wondered out loud if they forgot the blades - every aftermarket mulch kit I ran across online came with mulching blades. My dealer made a phone call and learned that this is all you get - "no mulching blades required".
"That's a lot of money for two chunks of steel and a few bolts", I said.
He nodded in agreement and said "Hang on a minute, I'm gonna get you another set of blades for that thing!"
He ordered me a set of OEM blades at no charge. Nice gesture considering the price would have been $63 if I had gone in to buy them.

I hope it mulches well. I'd like to use this on more jobs, but most are too small to run it while side discharging - no matter where I point it, it's throwing clippings where they shouldn't be. Hopefully this solves that problem.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Heh. Yeah, even if I DID have the model the instructions were written for, I was still scratching my head trying to understand them.
I'm still trying to figure out why they put five mounting holes in the front of the deck, yet make you drill your own two holes on the side.

As for blades, when I picked up the kit I opened it and wondered out loud if they forgot the blades - every aftermarket mulch kit I ran across online came with mulching blades. My dealer made a phone call and learned that this is all you get - "no mulching blades required".
He nodded in agreement and said "Hang on a minute, I'm gonna get you another set of blades for that thing!"
He ordered me a set of OEM blades at no charge. Nice gesture considering the price would have been $63 if I had gone in to buy them.

I hope it mulches well. I'd like to use this on more jobs, but most are too small to run it while side discharging - no matter where I point it, it's throwing clippings where they shouldn't be. Hopefully this solves that problem.
I didn't think the price was bad...mine was $79. A lot cheaper than my kit for my 36" Wright Stander($170) that didn't come with blades either....At least that one I was able to install. My model came with pre-drilled holes. One of them you have to finegle the kit to make it fit. I just can't figure out how these companies, who charge thousands of dollars for these machines, can make putting on a mulch kit a simple task.....
Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

Yea, I have come to the conclusion that either using a full kit or a plate is better than SD. Both can make a mess, but at least with mulching you can clean up leaves without raking and bagging and just chop up plant clippings. I run a plate on my stander in the summer and the full kit in the winter and it works well.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking @ buying a 32"... How good are they??? How much are the mulch blades and how good is the cut... Also where do you buy parts @... Thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
Looking @ buying a 32"... How good are they??? How much are the mulch blades and how good is the cut... Also where do you buy parts @... Thanks!!!
What kind of grass do you cut?? On st Augustine, it leaves a great cut. The mulch blades for the kit are the stock blades that come with the mower. Your other option is gator blades, but not good with the full kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if you tested the mulch kit out yet and if you see a different's? The reason I ask is I just bought a kit for my toro. Thanks
Toro 50" ZTR

John Deere 48"
Ariens 21" ZTP
Echo SRM-2100 Trimmer
Echo PE-225 Edger
Toro Split Shaft Trimmer
John Deere B-45LI Backpack Blower
Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER STROKE View Post
I was wondering if you tested the mulch kit out yet and if you see a different's? The reason I ask is I just bought a kit for my toro. Thanks
Nope.

This is what the grass looks like here...

There won't be any mulching (or mowing period) for some time.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had completely forgotten about this thread.

After we started seeing the grass grow again, I was able to use the mower on a fairly regular basis. I'm very pleased with the results.

It mulches regularly maintained lawns perfectly.

It mulches 2 week growth "adequately". Occasionally, I'll get minor clumps that can be easily dispersed with a blower.
The biggest issue with mulching overgrown grass is that it drops a lot of the clippings when you stop to turn around.

I cut one lawn that hadn't been cut in three weeks (not a regular client) and I was impressed with how it did with the mulch kit installed. I thought it would choke and "clog", but it blew right through it.
I had to laugh when a neighbor came out and asked "Where did all the GRASS go?!!" I looked at him for a second, a bit puzzled by his question, and he continued with "I didn't see a BAG on that thing and I don't see grass laying all over the place like it did with the last guy who cut that lawn!"
LOL I explained that I had a mulch kit on it.

I'm finding that it mulches leaves pretty well. Every lawn is different and depending on the amount of leaves on the lawn and if they are wet, or dry, you get different results. If there are a lot of leaves, some will get blown/pushed to the side as you go, but ultimately, I'm pleased with the results.

I took a few pics that I'll have to upload and post.

Last edited by OakNut; 10-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.