Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

CTL Tur Runner Blades?

I recently acquired a CTL Turf Runner model 1800 with a 53s deck. It has a 20 hp Onan and will be perfect for my use on some vacant lots. Unfortunately, it is older and I can't find any information regarding parts or sizes of blades. I'm pretty handy and have been able to take care of rebuilding hydraulics, bearings, belts etc.... But can't seem to find the recommended blade sizes. Mine are extremely worn and are striping so measuring them isn't really an option for accuracy.

Anyone have any leads?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Finger slipped.... The deck is a 52s not a 53s.

Thanks all!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joefer,

Is your unit lime green in color? The last that one that I saw or worked on was a 72", lime green unit equipped with a Kubota diesel and that was in the late 80's or early 90's. At that time there was word that they were going out of business. They were a well built, heavy duty zero turn.

It's possible that they may have been bought out by Landpride which is a division of GreatPlains Manufacturing.

Are you able to find the model and serial number plate or decal on the unit? If so, you may be able to find some info at the following link.

http://www.landpride.com/products/38/skid-steer-ctl

That's about all I can come up with without a little more research or a phone call.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Dutch!

It is indeed the lime green CTL. It's extremely well built and according to something I read on the hustler forum, they were bought out by Alamo and discontinued immediately. This one was previously owned by SPS electric company and while they maintained it, they definitely didn't care about the quality of the cut so sharpened unworn blades were the least of their worries...

I called Bob Roman and haven't gotten a response. I also emailed Oregon to see if they happened to have any information on file since I hope to be using their blades.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's likely that CTL used a standard blade--not one just made for them.

I had a Grasshopper 52--it used an 18" blade and from my experience in a Toro shop, the Toro and Great Dane 52's used 18's as well. Knowing the correct center hole diameter you should be able to come up with something that will work.

If you're still concerned you could do some creative measuring to find the distance from one spindle center hole to the adjacent one--should be slightly more than 18"--1/4 to 1/2" would be my guess if the unit uses 18" blades.

Just a random thought.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I took the old blades in to the local repair shop today and they are monsters. Very heavy duty and appear to have once been 18" made from very hard 1/4" steel with a 7/8 hole. Unfortunately no one seems to make anything much less stock anything like that so I bought a set of Scag 18" blades and took them to a machine shop to open the center hole from 5/8" to 7/8". Thanks again for the help.

Onward and upward....
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Support your local machine shop....
10 years ago there were more than 15 machine shops on the east side of Tampa...now there are 2.....
Posted via Mobile Device