Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,826
Horticulture

Growing grass is just another horticultural crop... it thrives or struggles just like every other living thing on the planet...
To understand horticulture it's good to understand how plants relate to their above ground environment... space, air circulation, sun/shade, etc.,etc.
Also their below ground environment, air, tilth, CEC, texture of the soil, etc. etc...

My goal as a horticulturalist is always to get plants to thrive... to be able to survive adversity w/out death and not be dependant on perpetual 4 week ferts or the crutches of irrigation that runs 2 or 3 times a week...

There used to be no irrigation in any lawns and in many lawns there is still, no irrigation... I don't want to discuss the issue of the lawns turning brown, nor the conventional wisdom of what constitutes 'correct soil moisture' but a thought provoking concept of soil health... healthy soils = happy roots...

Are lawns healthier and stronger when they go through periods of dry soil???
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
  #2  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
Your philosophy may be well founded but simply does not apply here in Florida. The Mind set is to have a beautiful landscape 24-7 365. At least where your from your landscapes can have a Vacation and live much longer with little or no care for many years. With a year
round growing season here life expectancy for a landscape can be measured in months and sometimes in years due to what I just described.
At least you have a seasons, we for the most part never will.
easy-lift guy
  #3  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Grasssales2001 Grasssales2001 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shreveport,LA
Posts: 111
Axe, everyone has a different business philosophy. I would say a large majority of LCO's are more interested in how much revenue they can generate ,than in growing healthy plants.

In my area, very few LCO's have any education in horticulture.
  #4  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Axe, everyone has a different business philosophy. I would say a large majority of LCO's are more interested in how much revenue they can generate ,than in growing healthy plants.

In my area, very few LCO's have any education in horticulture.
Very few do including the OP.
  #5  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Axe, everyone has a different business philosophy. I would say a large majority of LCO's are more interested in how much revenue they can generate ,than in growing healthy plants.

In my area, very few LCO's have any education in horticulture.
You may very well be correct... The forum would be a good place to learn to excel in many ways, but now its been turned over to loudmouth bullies who drop into a thread with nothing to say except personal insults...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
  #6  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You may very well be correct... The forum would be a good place to learn to excel in many ways, but now its been turned over to loudmouth bullies who drop into a thread with nothing to say except personal insults...
It is better than ridiculing proven practices.
  #7  
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Grasssales2001 Grasssales2001 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shreveport,LA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You may very well be correct... The forum would be a good place to learn to excel in many ways, but now its been turned over to loudmouth bullies who drop into a thread with nothing to say except personal insults...
I agree Axe. We could all learn something from each other.
  #8  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
I agree Axe. We could all learn something from each other.
One way or another there is something to be learned.
  #9  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Grasssales2001 Grasssales2001 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shreveport,LA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Growing grass is just another horticultural crop... it thrives or struggles just like every other living thing on the planet...
To understand horticulture it's good to understand how plants relate to their above ground environment... space, air circulation, sun/shade, etc.,etc.
Also their below ground environment, air, tilth, CEC, texture of the soil, etc. etc...

My goal as a horticulturalist is always to get plants to thrive... to be able to survive adversity w/out death and not be dependant on perpetual 4 week ferts or the crutches of irrigation that runs 2 or 3 times a week...

There used to be no irrigation in any lawns and in many lawns there is still, no irrigation... I don't want to discuss the issue of the lawns turning brown, nor the conventional wisdom of what constitutes 'correct soil moisture' but a thought provoking concept of soil health... healthy soils = happy roots...

Are lawns healthier and stronger when they go through periods of dry soil???


Back to the original question.

Axe, what do you think constitutes "healthy soil"? I've seen healthy plants grown in many different soils. I've also seen a lot of unhealthy looking plants grown in what appears to be healthy soil so..........
  #10  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
kennc38's Avatar
kennc38 kennc38 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
To understand horticulture it's good to understand how plants relate to their above ground environment... space, air circulation, sun/shade, etc.,etc.
Also their below ground environment, air, tilth, CEC, texture of the soil, etc. etc...

My goal as a horticulturalist is always to get plants to thrive... to be able to survive adversity w/out death and not be dependant on perpetual 4 week ferts or the crutches of irrigation that runs 2 or 3 times a week...

There used to be no irrigation in any lawns and in many lawns there is still, no irrigation... I don't want to discuss the issue of the lawns turning brown, nor the conventional wisdom of what constitutes 'correct soil moisture' but a thought provoking concept of soil health... healthy soils = happy roots...

Are lawns healthier and stronger when they go through periods of dry soil???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
[/B]

Back to the original question.

Axe, what do you think constitutes "healthy soil"? I've seen healthy plants grown in many different soils. I've also seen a lot of unhealthy looking plants grown in what appears to be healthy soil so..........
Are you sure that was his original question?? He also mentioned "ground environment... space, air circulation, sun/shade, etc.,etc."; "Also their below ground environment, air, tilth, CEC, texture of the soil, etc. etc..."; "not be dependant on perpetual 4 week ferts or the crutches of irrigation that runs 2 or 3 times a week..."; "but a thought provoking concept of soil health... healthy soils = happy roots... "; and "Are lawns healthier and stronger when they go through periods of dry soil?".

No offense, but as is typical with Axe, his "question" involves many topics, sub-topics, questions, and mini-questions that it's almost impossible to answer with a "simple" answer. Have fun going down whatever road he's trying to go down...
__________________
My Stuff:

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.12127 seconds with 8 queries