Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

taking over an already existing maintenance business

I was recently offered to take over an existing maintence business
what questions should I be asking before I agree to it?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Maintenence*
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't ask questions then shoot in the dark,,, you walk each property to see the detail and the cost... always meet the client as soon as possible and be sure that everything is done to the client's satisfaction...
If your not liked, lowballers will be taking over the site... good luck...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay, he currently has a lot of customers and I am working for him. But he's not making any money after paying the employes so he offered me to just take it and run it myself. But I will be laying his guys off. My main question is what kind of business licsense do I need. His sites are in different citys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstallcupsr View Post
Okay, he currently has a lot of customers and I am working for him. But he's not making any money after paying the employes so he offered me to just take it and run it myself. But I will be laying his guys off. My main question is what kind of business licsense do I need. His sites are in different citys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Something doesn't sound right if he has employees and is losing money, yet one man can take over the route and make it work. Make sure you really look over the books and each property to make sure you can make a profit before jumping in head first.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search of the cities involved on line and see what their licensing fees are. I don't get a license for every city I work in. I am registered with the Province as a business.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

hes bringing in around $6,000 a month, paying me about $1,800 and another guy the same plus 2 otheres at $10hr he would rather go drive truck which he makes more, so hes wanting to give me the business and walk away, I would lay off the employees and run it just me and my brother in law I know the routes, and yards so its not something im un aware of. I live out of city limits s im required to have a licsense here, but im not sure about other citys where the routes are, something I will have to look further into.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

im not required ugh... sorry
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure you want to pay yourself what you are making now, and I'm sure your brother in law will want a similar wage. Right there is 3,600 right off the bat. Figure insurances, fuel, maintenance, cash flow etc.... I'm sure there is more behind him leaving the business than he is letting on IMHO.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some seem to miss the part he works for the guy and probably knows the accounts well.

Sounds like the accounts have little value to the owner. They don't make any profit so he lets you take over and all you have to come up with is the equipment. Either buy his or buy new. But you have little choice in this since if he doesn't get out and he's losing money he will have to shut it down before long and your unemployed. I say go for it the accounts may be priced to low for employees but for a solo guy you could make a living. And even if you end up deciding to dump most of them latter it at-least got your feet wet and got you some experience.