Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

2010 Gravely HD 60 no start issue

I purchased my ZTR two summers ago and it has been working great. It's been really hot here lately and I have not needed to mow for the last few weeks. I went out to start the mower the other day and it would not start, it only made a high pitched squealing noise that came from the left side of the motor if you were directly behind it. That area has the relays and fuses. I took the battery off and charged it. That was not the issue.

I contacted the shop I purchased it from and they do not want to try to help diagnose it over the phone, they stated the only options are for them to pick it up or drop it off. It's still under warranty, but I'd rather get it fixed and mowing, then have to go through the hassle of getting it there and waiting to get it back.

Any advice or spots to look for? I can take and upload pictures if needed. Thank you for the help.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the engine didn't turn over, only make a squealing noise, could be the starter. You might try taping on it with a hammer handle.

But if it's still under warranty, I'm thinking you're better off letting the dealer take care of it. The way those things are written, it might void that warranty if you attempt the repair.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like one of the safety switches are not being engaged. Are you sure the clutch switch is not on? The one that engages the blades. Or the parking break?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Is the battery fully charged?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I've checked the safety switches numerous times, parking brake is on and the blades are off. I took the battery off and made sure it was fully charged. I'm still thinking it might be the starter, I've never heard this high pitched electrical squealing from any other motor before though. Pretty weird.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you rotate the flywheel back and forth by hand a few degrees then try the starter. It may jammed or stuck and this may set it free.