Register free!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

What spreader would you recommend?

I have 3.5 acres to spread seed/fertilizer on, probably a good 3 or 4 times a year. I've bought the little pull spreaders before and they all end up breaking somehow. The last spreader I got at tractor supply looked pretty strong and like it could take it and it broke after maybe 10 minutes.
I don't know if the kubota bx1860 I have is just too much for those little spreaders or if my lot is just too rough.

I've looked into the big cone spreaders, 3 point and pull behind, and would not mind getting a pull behind one but it really kills me that they cost so much more than the 3 point ones. The reasons I haven't gotten the 3 point ones are that maybe one day I won't have my kubota anymore and I am also thinking they might be too big for the job.

Anyways what would you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No they are not to big if it is spread out and not a lot of obstacles. I would go with the 3pt
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casolorz View Post
Anyways what would you recommend?
I have the same BX and have been using a tow-behind for two acres. I have used this particular spreader about 20 times without breaking it.

It's $155 w/ free shipping at Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Prod.../dp/B000PSUS0Y

I would not characterize this model as "industrial strength" but on the other hand it has taken 120 lbs of lime (etc) for long rides. It is light enough that I can store it up off the floor in my workshop, so for the ~350 days I am not using it there is no wasted space.

My only complaint is that I have to find the time to extend the control closer to my operating position -- right now it is reachable but inconvenient.

If I had to get another, I would look at a PTO-driven type -- but on the other hand on my specific property, which is not exactly an open field, I think I would have to work at not over-applying in certain areas.

Wrooster

Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
I have the same BX and have been using a tow-behind for two acres. I have used this particular spreader about 20 times without breaking it.

I would not characterize this model as "industrial strength" but on the other hand it has taken 120 lbs of lime (etc) for long rides. It is light enough that I can store it up off the floor in my workshop, so for the ~350 days I am not using it there is no wasted space.

My only complaint is that I have to find the time to extend the control closer to my operating position -- right now it is reachable but inconvenient.

If I had to get another, I would look at a PTO-driven type -- but on the other hand on my specific property, which is not exactly an open field, I think I would have to work at not over-applying in certain areas.
Do you know the brand of that spreader? I'm still unsure as to what to get.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Do you know the brand of that spreader? I'm still unsure as to what to get.
I added the link to Amazon above.

The primary issue with a 3pt mounted PTO-driven spreader is that a decent quality one is *at least* three times the cost of a decent quality pull-behind. The PTO jackshaft alone is worth about $100.

Wrooster
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
I added the link to Amazon above.

The primary issue with a 3pt mounted PTO-driven spreader is that a decent quality one is *at least* three times the cost of a decent quality pull-behind. The PTO jackshaft alone is worth about $100.

Wrooster
Thanks for the link. My only hesitation with the amazon one is that it looks pretty similar to my first one (also from amazon) except for it was a different brand.

I've been looking at this one for pto:
http://www.agrisupply.com/pt-spreade...eline/p/70271/
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a JD2305 which is pretty much the green version of your orange. When I bought the tractor I also bought a PTO driven Frontier 3PH spreader. I don't remember exactly but I want to think it was around $350-$400. I works great and really came in handy when I spread almost 300 bags of lime on my 2 acres.

Two years ago I did a renovation on about 1.5 acres and I bought an 80lb Lesco push spreader. I actually use that more than the Frontier as I buy all my fertilizer from JD/Lesco and can use the setting from the bag. I don't fill it to 80lbs as it's too dam heavy that full. But I can easily cover my property in less than an hour and it's great exercise.

Here's a pic of both spreaders. If I had to choose just one hands down it would be the Lesco.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. My only hesitation with the amazon one is that it looks pretty similar to my first one (also from amazon) except for it was a different brand.

I've been looking at this one for pto:
http://www.agrisupply.com/pt-spreade...eline/p/70271/
I would spend a tiny bit more and get a similarly sized/priced Cosmo PTO spreader -- that way when you need a replacement part or some such you won't be emailing China.

Wrooster