Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

An Idea who's time has come

This unit has been around my town for a while and I finally got a picture of it.

Yes this is an older setup and falling apart, but is still a great one. I think the Truck makers are missing a bet by not offering something like this in a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE WITH A LOWER DECK. Any number of set ups could be made from an enclosed van to a equipment hauler.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen a few of these two. Including a smaller Ranger set up.

I think they are great for a smaller residential set up. No idea who made the bed.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I have seen a few of these two. Including a smaller Ranger set up.

I think they are great for a smaller residential set up. No idea who made the bed.
Yep Just Mo used the same bed on Rangers and he is in Dallas.

Years ago I saw a Tornado Cadillac (front wheel drive) married to a Horse Trailer and body molded together from the frame on up. I never forgot that and have often wondered why Detroit never offered a Low boy flat bed type truck. I am talking the bed as low as the normal Lawn Trailer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Yep Just Mo used the same bed on Rangers and he is in Dallas.

Years ago I saw a Tornado Cadillac (front wheel drive) married to a Horse Trailer and body molded together from the frame on up. I never forgot that and have often wondered why Detroit never offered a Low boy flat bed type truck. I am talking the bed as low as the normal Lawn Trailer.

You need to be over the wheels to get the width
Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Sponsor

Like the name on the truck door "creative", I give an A from creative stand point.
From a practical or commercial stand point I would have to give an F. I would consider the inability to transport debrie from one job to another a major reason why this concept would not have any commercial application.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Like the name on the truck door "creative", I give an A from creative stand point.
From a practical or commercial stand point I would have to give an F. I would consider the inability to transport debris from one job to another a major reason why this concept would not have any commercial application.
easy-lift guy
Easy Lift

Tell that to "Just Mow" of Dallas Texas and then do a search both here and on the net. Just Mow is one of the biggest Lawn cutter in the Dallas area and he uses many ranger trucks with these beds. Hauling Debris is not a problem in most cities because waste management takes care of it. Besides this is not a Full service set up. It is a mow and go set up that can be more profitable than full service if done correctly. First and most import is the type of accounts that can be serviced with this equipment carrier that can be parked in any driveway unlike a Trailer. This opens a special market on very busy streets. A higher price can be charged because other can't park close enough with their trailers etc.

As for the Wheel height effecting the bed height. You don't have to have 35 inch tires on the rear of a front wheel drive truck. Smaller tire design can give both a lower deck and support.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen better made units but the sides should be higher for utility.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think J-Rod used to make these units custom but they got bought out recently.
I do not know of anyone that makes them.

I do think it is a perfect set up for a Residential / light Commercial mow blow and go operation.

I would like to get where I have a these crews and a utility crew for bed clean up and trimming with a different set up.

We mulch grass so the mowing crew does not pick up much debris. Commerical accounts would get a 14" NPR box truck.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Sponsor

That is fine for Dallas, Texas. My company offers full service maintenance so the need to remove all debrie quickly and efficiently is foremost. The additional time spent bundling or bagging material to be removed at a later date by another company has Zero curb appeal here in SW Florida. As far as " mow and go" companies are concerned, to each their own. Your suggestion that a higher price can be charged by parking in a customers driveway instead of on the street is novel but with the market being saturated and prices going lower for "mow and go" customers I suspect not true. I would never park in my customers drive way from a common sence stand point. When I see pickup trucks configured in the same manner as shown in the photograph at some of the show I vend my products at, than I will believe it is commercially viable.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-04-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
That is fine for Dallas, Texas. My company offers full service maintenance so the need to remove all debrie quickly and efficiently is foremost. The additional time spent bundling or bagging material to be removed at a later date by another company has Zero curb appeal here in SW Florida. As far as " mow and go" companies are concerned, to each their own. Your suggestion that a higher price can be charged by parking in a customers driveway instead of on the street is novel but with the market being saturated and prices going lower for "mow and go" customers I suspect not true. I would never park in my customers drive way from a common sence stand point. When I see pickup trucks configured in the same manner as shown in the photograph at some of the show I vend my products at, than I will believe it is commercially viable.
easy-lift guy

I never said this was the Ideal equipment for your operation. But don't knock a man's set up until you have Mowed a mile in his shoes.

As far as your Market goes, This might be a viable method on some parts of Venice Island with the busier streets. At one time I insisted on doing only 1st class work. But after many years in this business I became more Pragmatic and learning Primo work takes primo time and expense that Primo Customer won't pay full price for. There is more money and less loyalty in Mow & Go work.