Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Kohler 15 Command Pro/AR pump washer 4ga 4k

I had my exhaust pipe break off just past the head and I didn't know it till I had quit washing. It might have ran for over 1 hour at near wide open. Could that have done valve damage causing loss of power? The motor sounds good but when I crank up the pressure it labors hard and the old power the pump used to deliver isn't there any more. I thought it was a pump problem and I cleaned the pump valves and unloader but still have the problem....I didn't think I could have damaged the motor so bad, sooo, I'm here asking for help from someone that knows more than I do. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewadin View Post
when I crank up the pressure it labors hard

A leak-down test or even a compression test would tell the condition of the valves.....

Are you depressing the wand trigger (water spraying out of wand) while cranking up the pressure ?

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Loss of power

I wired the gun trigger open, started it up at min pressure and cranked it up to max pressure. It has a lever action throttle and I usually run it wide open and adjust pressure (almost always max). I think it has a governor but at WOT it doesn't look like it can affect the throttle? At first I thought it was the pump,then I thought governor,but now I'm thinking loss of power at the motor..I have misplaced my little compression test kit. But when I find it,what pressure should it make? What pressure should make me pull the head? The unit is 10 years old but I doubt it has much over 100 hours of work. It was always really hard to pull start (no electric starter) and now I'm thinking I can pull it a little easier now? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What pressure should make me pull the head?

Below 80 lbs.....

Can you post the machine brand and model numbers AND the AR number off the pump ?

I'm thinking you have a unloader issue, Cleaning doesn't help weakened springs and worn seats.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Ar rkv 4g40

I hope it's the unloader. I'm waiting for one in the mail. I took apart the old one and really gave it a good cleaning and it didn't make a difference. Can a bad unloader cause heavy loading of the motor without making pressure and volume? ....I hope the motor is OK. The washer is a Porter Cable PCK4040SP. The pump is AR RKV4G40..(4gal. & 4000psi @ 3400rpm). The unloader should be here soon and I will post my results .
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Can a bad unloader cause heavy loading of the motor without making pressure and volume?

Yup, Sure can......

Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Cam ware

cam lobe dimensions: old:1.361"int. 1.044 fuel 1.160"exh. . . . . new:1.375"int 1.046 fuel 1.366"exh . . . The lifter surfaces look alike, why so much ware on exhaust cam? I have cleaned the case and cover and hope to re-assemble it tomorrow. I'm not sure how to pre lube the part. It came with small tube of Thixotropic cam lube and I have a tube of molly-graphite assembly lube. Should I grease up the whole thing,lobes,shaft ends,gear teeth,ACR mechanism?...Is it ok to use an oil stabilizer like Lucas with conventional 10w30? Once I get it started how fast and how long should I run it? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I take it you don't have a shop manual. Go to Kohler's site and download one.
Did you not read my post?????? Use assembly lube on the lobes.....the L O B E S only!!!! Use oil on the rest.
As for the Lucas..........don't forget to add Seafoam ,Mechanic in a bottle, and the ol' standby STP.

......AMF!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

put it back together

I got the manual and put it back together,even used a heat gun to warm it up before I greased it up. Started on the second pull,ran very smooth, and can rev up to 3600 rpm like it used to. I ran it 15-20 min to get the Lucas blended in,lol. I don't normally use that stuff,but this engine needs something to keep it from eating the exhaust cam lobe off. Why would it do that? Faulty heat treat? Thanks for the help. I have another question about this motor but I'll start another thread.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for sharing and good job on finding the issue. as far as your question on why it occurred, do some searching on bobistheoilguy.com regarding the reduction of zddp in oil and it's results on camshafts. either that or poor oil change intervals are what come to my mind immediately after reading of your woes.