Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pulling a hose vs ride on

For those who made the switch. Can you tell me how your production increased? Maybe it took you 2 weeks to do a million sqft round pulling a hose. Now it takes 10 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done 1 million sq. ft. in a day numerous times. An average day for me though is anywhere from 300k to 500k using a z spray intermediate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never pulled a hose..but I debated on buying a 200 gallon lesco space saver or buying a ride on. I was torn between the two but decided to get a Permagreen Triumph. I'm glad I did.

I didn't want the tank on my truck all the time because I use only one truck to maintain lawns and do fert and squirt. I also have a dump trailer and a goose neck hitch in the bed. I wouldn't be able to use the goose neck with the tank in the bed and I would not have much room for debris with the tank in the bed.

Taking the tank out and putting it back in would have been a pain also. I almost went with a Turfco Unit but ended up getting a really good deal on a new 2012 Triumph. I was nervous at first and didn't do any spraying with it...just granular fert. But now I spray and throw fert....its great. Results are great.

I'm happy. My concern with the ride on was weed kill and being able to service my accounts. I have some hilly accounts. I was able to demo a Triumph down at the local lesco and that helped with the decision. They just happen to have an office with some challenging hills next door and I played around for about an hour riding around like I was doing an application.

Still was nervous when I bought it but now I'm like an old pro. Best decision I made. Buddy of mine works for a company that has a Turfco and he loves it. I wish I could have demoed one but Oh well. I'm happy. I looked at the Ground Logic also but could not demo one. I think they all are nice machines.

Is the Permagreen Perfect....No....But I like it. So easy to do apps now its actually fun.

Dave...
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot would have to do with the properties. Large commercial = more sq ft completed in a day, less driving. Same equipment you have but switched from a perma green. No comparison!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the info.

I've never pulled a hose. I went straight from using a backpack on a few lawns to getting a z-spray and 1000's of post cards.

I found a few app businesses for sale in my area and it appears they pull a hose based on the equipment list. The accounts are 30-40 minutes away from my shop so I was trying to figure in my added cost. I also wanted to compare the difference to finish a round pulling a hose vs. a ride on.

I was trying to look at it from a time stand point. Something like 100 accounts so I'd need a good week out applying every 6 weeks to finish the round. Then add in 1 day a week between rounds for call backs, estimates, etc.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just my opinion...but I would think the lot size would matter. Meaning the larger the lawn the more time made up using a ride on. Smaller lawns you are not going to make up much time using a ride on.

You also have to figure in the fatigue factor. Pulling a hose you would probably slow down more and more as the day wore on vs riding a machine that would not be a factor.

Dave...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You also have to add in time for blowing grans off the hard stuff.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never did the ride on. But I do see when I'm cutting grass a lot of guys that use them ,they start in the same spot each time. You can notice when they turn it on and it leaves burn marks in the lawn because you see a row of half circle marks in the lawn.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am actually going the other route on some of my smaller lawns. I am small time so I know some of you big time guys would have a different opion for day in and day out apps, but I think pulling a hose will be faster on some of my lawns. I just bought a 200 gal skid about a month ago and am getting it dialed in for late Sept/Oct. When using my PG Ultra I have to unload, start it, fill the hopper, do something with the bag, apply granular, spray, load and tie and then blow. I guess I will know before long but I feel pulling out the hose, spraying and then rolling up the hose will be faster. Espically when you have the odd ball places that would have to be cut in with a backpack and the 5' wide strips between curb and sidewalk.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always sprayed and applied granular at the same time, with my Ultra. You are correct that on small lawns, it is quicker to treat with the hose (providing that you are applying fert and herbicide at the same time). Naturally lawns cut up into small areas need the hose. Also, use the hose on hills too steep to safely navigate. I normally use the hose on lawns of 8000 sqft or less and lawns of 9000 or 10,000 were a toss-up...could go either way.

I had a special spot on my truck behind the cab with a bungee cord bolted on and dedicated to empty bags.