Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 AM
spgseth spgseth is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 41
St Aug Fertilizer

What is the best type of fertilizer for ST Aug, nitrogen, phospurus, or potash?
When is the best time to apply?
How do I prohibit clovers in the spring/winter?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgseth View Post
What is the best type of fertilizer for ST Aug,

nitrogen, phospurus, or potash?

It likes Nitrogen I go with a 17 to 24 granular. Analyze soil and check local codes before adding phospurus.

When is the best time to apply?

This will cause debate: I do two application annually: a 24 N end of March and a 17 N end of Ocober. Irrigation is important; I'm in zone 10.

How do I prohibit clovers in the spring/winter?

Get a restraining order or have your attorney write a strongly worded letter
Others will pipe in; best to check with your local agricultural extension or Master Gardners Club; google also helps
__________________
.
.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I do not think N is something to do on SA in the heat of the summer but I sure like to feed it smaller amounts in the spring and late fall.

Pre-Em in the fall and spring for weed control.


What he said ^^
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I do not think N is something to do on SA in the heat of the summer but I sure like to feed it smaller amounts in the spring and late fall.

Pre-Em in the fall and spring for weed control.


What he said ^^
Agreed summer heat and nitrogen is a bad mix... doesn't keep the squirt guys from pouring it on...

No weed and feed; treat that stuff seperatly. Why make the weed robust with nutrients when you want to kill it?
__________________
.
.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,058
I apply N in the summer all the time. If you water it in, there is no reason it will burn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 PM
jvanvliet's Avatar
jvanvliet jvanvliet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I apply N in the summer all the time. If you water it in, there is no reason it will burn.
Posted via Mobile Device
The key is water...
__________________
.
.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
.
.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
The key is water...
To a point but my question is why add the N in the height of growing season and add more water if we are experiencing decent rains? IF you have did your spring apps correct your color should be there, naturally the turf will be growing, any color issues at that point should be able to be fixed with a good micro blend IMHO. What I see most common this time of year with the rain fall is light spots in the lawn where it has become chlorotic from the rainfall or some other reason. My PCO sub comes and hits it with a liquid micro package which contains Fe, Mg, Mn and shortly the problem is fixed in most cases. Adding N at this point in the season of any significance does nothing but stress the turf which is already growing like crazy and makes my mower and blowers work harder.


To the OP ...I suggest a more organic fertilizer this time of year like milorganite or Lesco has a great product IMHO for homeowners or those wishing not to spray...it is called Iron Plus.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
To a point but my question is why add the N in the height of growing season and add more water if we are experiencing decent rains? IF you have did your spring apps correct your color should be there, naturally the turf will be growing, any color issues at that point should be able to be fixed with a good micro blend IMHO. What I see most common this time of year with the rain fall is light spots in the lawn where it has become chlorotic from the rainfall or some other reason. My PCO sub comes and hits it with a liquid micro package which contains Fe, Mg, Mn and shortly the problem is fixed in most cases. Adding N at this point in the season of any significance does nothing but stress the turf which is already growing like crazy and makes my mower and blowers work harder.


To the OP ...I suggest a more organic fertilizer this time of year like milorganite or Lesco has a great product IMHO for homeowners or those wishing not to spray...it is called Iron Plus.
I have to disagree. I apply slow release granular 4x/year, and the lawns look amazing. I stay at 1lb/N/K, and do not have any fungal issues aside from GLS that will show up from excess rainfall alone. It's the guys over-applying fert that cause issues. I don't overwater either. If its raining, system goes off. Applying in march and then again in oct or so isn't going to cut it IMO. Even the best slow-release ferts will get washed away with the heavy summer rains in 6-8 weeks. I have never had a need to apply liquids to cover up bad areas. Slow-release granular 4x/yr has always worked.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I have to disagree. I apply slow release granular 4x/year, and the lawns look amazing. I stay at 1lb/N/K, and do not have any fungal issues aside from GLS that will show up from excess rainfall alone. It's the guys over-applying fert that cause issues. I don't overwater either. If its raining, system goes off. Applying in march and then again in oct or so isn't going to cut it IMO. Even the best slow-release ferts will get washed away with the heavy summer rains in 6-8 weeks. I have never had a need to apply liquids to cover up bad areas. Slow-release granular 4x/yr has always worked.
Posted via Mobile Device

No biggie IMHO , it has just been my experience that the Micro feeding is the way to go during the heat of rainy and growing season. Less new tempting new flush growth for web worms moths to be attracted too, chinch and of course the stress that fungal vunerablity. But that is just my experience. Everyone has a different approach and that is why there are a million different big time spray companies. They all offer a different approach that works for them.
Here many of they lots are new contruction with High PH...pounding them hard in the early spring after they start to grow on their own will get you the color, they will grow well into summer, the only concern we face if done at that point is the lack of color because the micro's are not able to be taken up etc because of the PH, A micro spray will darken the heck out of a yard if applied at a corrective rate.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
The key is water...
Yea true, but why would you apply fert without watering it in??
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.09891 seconds with 7 queries