Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do I need??

I put a ez dumper insert into my 1998 1500 Z71 long bed. I know I need a 3/4 or bigger truck just trying to make due with what I got. I want to raise the back back up with overload springs or at a leaf I just don't know what I need. My main use with the dumper is leafs in the fall. Let me know what I should get and where I can get it and of course $$$.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No one was ever done this?? I find that hard to believe. Over load springs, add a leaf, or air bags???
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the air bag system.... but if you're going to use a 1/2 ton I would seriously, seriously consider upgrading the brakes if you're going to have a load on it. Most people think the differences between 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton are just in the engines and payload, brakes have a lot to do with it too!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Your first post had the answer. You need a bigger truck. Once you put the dump insert in, you have almost no payload left.
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not going to be going on the road with a load all my jobs are curbside pick up. But they are big yards like 5acres so that is why I'm asking. And yes brakes are the biggest problem with overload. Eventually I would like a f350 with a 7.3 but this is my first season so that is not in the budget.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the big trucks use air bags for a reason. I've been in the place before about having to work with what you have, but please be careful. I lost a half ton truck a little over a year ago due to it not being duty rated. Manufacturers post capacities for a reason. I don't think I would dare think about pulling a trailer with the dump insert even with trailer brakes.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will look in to the air bags and how did you lose the 1/2 ton??? I do pull a tailer with the insert in and yes it is pushing it.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we were loading a 32HP kubota onto a parked, and chocked 1/2 silverado. the weight of the tractor pushing on the truck/trailer (which was on a slight decline) caused the parking pawl to tear off transmission along with the planetary gears. I had safety jacks under the rear of the trailer to keep the weight from pushing the rear end of the truck up too. I was loading the tractor and went along for the ride (helplessly) and the truck ended up going through a house causing $20k totaled the truck, trailer, most of the equipment. I had a guy end up braking his back trying to jump in the truck to stop it.

The insurance company tore into the truck down at Danville and found what happened, they said they had saw several instances where 1/2 pickups had transmission failures due to not being able to properly handle stuff. He said maybe the only thing I could have done would be to have the truck in 4x4, but when the gear tore off it was basically free wheeling and skidded the chocks down the road. Not fun...
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That doesn't sound like fun. 32hp kubota is a pretty good size tractor to be pulled by a half ton. Did your insurance company drop you??? You have to be very carefull when using a half ton passed its limits.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
That doesn't sound like fun. 32hp kubota is a pretty good size tractor to be pulled by a half ton. Did your insurance company drop you??? You have to be very carefull when using a half ton passed its limits.
No they didn't drop me, I had helper springs on the truck to help level out the load, and the tractor is a B3200 that weighs empty 1964lbs..... all within the limits of the truck a lot lighter than a dump bed insert loaded into the back of a truck. The problem was all that weight was pushing on the truck and it didn't have anywhere to go so the pawl inside just snapped from the tension and took off. Just remember what you said above "you have to be very careful when using a half ton passed its limits..."

I'm amazed at the number of 1/2 trucks I see around here pulling 5th wheel campers and the such.