Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

questions about trailer gate

hey everyone need help/have questions about trailers and gates

being so new i just purchased a 5x8 tilt trailer with no back gate. after useing the trailer and the tilt option , it works but the mower is a little hard to load and i think i would rather just put a gate on it, to make life easier for me. (ive already sprayed the trailer deck w truck bedliner, and it helped a little w the slide but not 100%)

is there any place that i can buy a new gate from and attach it or... i have a friend that said he could build me one for $200 all said n done. is that a fair price or sound high, think he said $100 for parts $100 for labor

any other options that i might have?

ive thought about possibly making ramps that stay underneath the trailer kinda like a uhaul car transport trailer. think this would work as well?

any ideas or thoughts please
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, If you have someone that will build and install a gate for 200 bux I'd be all over it.

You really don't want to fool with ramps all day, Two pins and drop the gate.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

$200 is cheap...steel..welding rods..cutoff wheels...the stuff ain't cheep...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Or you can get a 2'X4' piece of aluminum diamond plate @ Home Depot for I think abt $50. Cut it into 4 pieces @ 6"X4'. Secure to trailer floor so your mower can get up tilt trailer without slipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't all the stuff in the trailer slide out when it is tilted?
Seems like a huge PITA to me....Save your back...get the ramp..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish my trailer would tilt! I'd put a limiting chain or strap up front to let the trailer tilt just enough to kinda smooth out the transition angle from gate to bed. It seems to wanna snag cutter decks just as you transition. PITA!
I really need to look into a pair of Gorilla lifts or something like it. That gate is a heavy sucker.

......AMF!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I wish my trailer would tilt! I'd put a limiting chain or strap up front to let the trailer tilt just enough to kinda smooth out the transition angle from gate to bed. It seems to wanna snag cutter decks just as you transition. PITA!
I really need to look into a pair of Gorilla lifts or something like it. That gate is a heavy sucker.
Is your trailer level? If so, replace hitch so trailer is slightly high in the front & it will drop the tail a bit. Should eliminate the deck snagging at transition. I have an adjustable hitch that i can move the ball hight up or down in 1" increments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

By boss bought a single gate trailer for his personal use, First time he used it he came to me and said, Rob..... Ya gotta do something about that gate..... I busted out the welder and split it like this example;

He's happier than a couple Daisy-Maes at one of SLAPPER'S BBQ's now !!!

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
We have a pair of Gorilla lifts on one of our trailers (we have 3) and it works great. Ours you can lift the gate with one finger (I think we over did it with the springs)

http://www.gorilla-lift.com/
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't use gorilla lifts. I go to the local garage door place and pay $22 for two springs for my gates. That is all that is in a gorilla lift anyway. Somebody set down one day and found a hell of a way to get a couple hundred bucks outta people for some $10 springs.

Tags
gate , ramps , trailer , trailer gate