Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how to win commercial bids and find new jobs

This is my second year doing Commercial landscaping. I've done some pretty big jobs that landed by word of mouth.... I have all my vehicles lettered up, social media pages, thinking about advertising in yellow pages and possibly billboards..... my town is only 40,xxx people. Its fairly small but we see lots of new buisness coming in...how do I go about bidding these jobs? Every time I call they had already been awarded.... this is right after dirt is broken loose... I'm not dragging my feet on them and most contractors seem to be outta town that's building them.. I know price wise we r very competitive, we offer everything from Irrigation, full landscaping and even some hardscaping...even.so much as servicing them after installs..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to make contact with the civil engineering firms, architects, and general contractors in your area to see if you can get on board early. Another thing you can do is go any public hearings that are held in the permitting process so that you can learn what is going on and who the contacts are.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

its all about connections.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not so sure we even have engineers here.... lol really though. We r small.time here.... but we do have. Several commmunity functuons that all the big dogs attend....maybe start with those and do some networking.... there is a huge city 40 miles away from me... should.I do billboards there? What has reaped y'all the most sucess for money
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. My girlfriend's sister works for the city in the planning and development department. Should I talk to her?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would look online at the cities website they should have a section for the planning commision
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But can the city disclose to u what companies have submitted permits or what not? I'm starting.to join. The camber and will b attending all the city events for.buisness.owners and what not.. also looking.into advertising... I've herd to advertise.and.not to.... word of.mouth is what has got me.this far but I feel as.if I can and should.be doing more to get the jobs....I'd love to quit.my full.time.job and do this 5-6 days a week...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi woodlawn, this is all the work we do, new store landscapes. What state/region do you serve?

Can you do full installs? I get so much work, I may try and sub out of state work out to qualified subs if we can agree on a mutually profitable price.

Give me a an email!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes we do full installs..I've also looked at doing out of.state work. I've got a construction company I work with that travels all throughout us.and.does chain gas stations and food stores.... big ones...I currently get all there in state work but thinking about traveling along side them on some jobs....dunno yet...gotta see how profitable it will be..we are located in south central Oklahoma but serve the whole central part to eastern part of state.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just trying to figure out how compaines like yourself keeps jobs coming.... I know word of.mouth is a lot of it, but our town is small..30,000 population...I need to find out how most people.go about finding these.jobs before these places have them already bid out...I keep getting beat to the punch
Posted via Mobile Device