Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I Really Screwed Up My Yard

I don't know what the hell I did wrong here but, I sprayed my yard the other day and granted it wasn't looking so hot in the first place it is now a bit worse. The grass is yellowing out and I am afraid I may have burned it. Oddly enough, everywhere else I used this batch looks just fine. Here is the mix

3 2.5 gal jugs of Ferromec
2 50lb bags of Urea
300oz of Trimec 992

all mixed in 200gallons of water. Spraying at roughly 1 gal/1,000 sq ft.

My yard has gotten progressively worse this year. One part of the yard in particular, the rest of the yard I guess wasn't too bad. Some guys think I should spray straight Urea but I don't know.

Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How hot was it and was the turf stressed?

Last edited by CL&T; 09-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYTILIDIE View Post
I don't know what the hell I did wrong here but, I sprayed my yard the other day and granted it wasn't looking so hot in the first place it is now a bit worse. The grass is yellowing out and I am afraid I may have burned it. Oddly enough, everywhere else I used this batch looks just fine. Here is the mix

2 50lb bags of Urea
300oz of Trimec 992

My yard has gotten progressively worse this year. One part of the yard in particular, the rest of the yard I guess wasn't too bad. Some guys think I should spray straight Urea but I don't know.

Thoughts?
Why are you putting down Urea this time year if the grass is stress do to heat Urea will burn it how many total Sq ft is you lawn
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trimec is safe for turf,,, but that doesn't mean there are no side effects... I believe all the ingredients in Trimec will kill or seriously damge new grass seedlings... If the turf is under stress, then the weeds are not actively growing so using Trimec was a waste of time,,, IF the lawn was hot and dry...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It should work OK if you used it as you specified. Is the grass dry? Greener in the shade? Worse in the sun? Are you irrigating it properly? Did you actually use 1 gal per thousand, (or a bit more)? Was agitation adequate so that the mix and urea were fully dissolved?
If the solution burned it--you should be able to see a pattern of where the nozzles went, and when you made turns, starts and stops. Is this a Chemlawn gun? Flood nozzle? Back and forth with cone nozzle?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a few things. Bad soil, TOO HOT possibly fert burn and to high of a dosage for this time of year. I know I have been trying to stay away from fertilizers for the year but I am definitely staying away from ferts during the summer months and have been using more of a natural product so No chance of getting fert burn.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should have halved your urea or doubled your water.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYTILIDIE View Post

2 50lb bags of Urea
300oz of Trimec 992

Thoughts?
My thoughts is you possibly overdosed the Urea. I know the math calculates to 50#'s per 100 gallons of water but dang...........the competition around here is putting it out at 50#'s per 200 or 25# per 100. The urea fert will draw in more of the iron and 3-way quickly. What kind of tip are you using!!?
I am putting out 3 gallons per m. and then 2 gallons with another tip.

You are spraying 4.5 acres with this tank!
maybe my math is out right now, but at a rate of 2 qts per acre in 5 to 175gallon of water per acre.......you are way off on the 3-way. Should it be 9 quarts per tank full.?
I know the cool season turf can withstand another quart per acre than the warm season turf can.

The heat has gotten to my headache.........gotta go now.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stop............hold the press.........headache is gone.!!
300 ounces of Trimec 992 per 200 gallons of water. You are using 1.5 ounces per M.

I don't recall cool season grasses needing that much nitrogen per M.

Sorry for stopping the press but didn't want to steer you wrong!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
300 ounces of Trimec 992 per 200 gallons of water. You are using 1.5 ounces per M
Yeah, don't feel bad. I had to think about that at first too but that is correct.